Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question: will a dual piston front brake caliper of a cx 650 bolt onto cx 500 deluxe fork without any modification??? And what will the braking be like when hooked up to the 500 MC? Won't it be screwing with the ratio? Will it be worth the money and time?

Thanks

·
Registered
851 Posts
I think it was said on this board that the standard Master Cylinder feels wooden because the M/C was meant for a dual set up? If that's so then using a two piston caliper would help the feel of the braking?

Cheers, 50gary

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
I have two cx's with the 650 caliper and mount. They are a direct bolt on. With these calipers you are able to use the semi metallic brake pads too. Braking is effortless compared to the original single style. I also just finished installing one on Jeremy's bike. He was impressed at how much better they feel, even with the stock master cylinder.

A bit on the shinny side, but this is the one on the 79 CX500 project bike I'm building.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Very nice install!! I tried this with a purchase from E-bay, but the guy only sent me the two piston caliper without the back part. Doesn't work too good!! Nice to know that the master will support the duel pistons.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Very nice install!! I tried this with a purchase from E-bay, but the guy only sent me the two piston caliper without the back part. Doesn't work too good!! Nice to know that the master will support the duel pistons.

Also most calipers at that same time by honda were the same caliper.

I have one that David in Wisconsin is running through an ultra sonic for me. Maybe one of these days I can get up there and pick it up. Or get new seals and send them his way so the next time he's in the neighborhood he can drop it off.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Today I saw a fresh CX650 parts bike complete with bracket etc. looked clean. I was tempted to buy the caliper and bracket for someone on the board but money was tight, and remember no good deed ever goes unpunished. I also saw a dual rotor wheel complete (original Comstar not reversed) for a CX500 standard.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
I'm drooling!

Any chance you could find out how much they would want for both items for me?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm drooling!

Any chance you could find out how much they would want for both items for me?

Larry sure, I'll see what I can find out but it'll have to wait until Monday, I busy tomorrow.

The guy also had a couple of rear 18" wheels for members that might want to switch from the 16" for better gas milage and RPM drop?

Cheers, 50gary

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Thanks Gary. When ever you get to it is fine. I have extra 18" wheels so I'm ok there. Maybe someone else can use them.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Anyone have a picture of this bracket that comes with the 650 calipers to make them fit?

·
Registered
399 Posts
And looking at pictures, it seems like some auctions have 2 calipers for the 650? Did this bike have dual disc brakes on the front?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts