Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently noticed fuel wetness around my petcock lever. Is this repairable or is it time to change the petcock?

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Some will say it's repairable by drilling out the rivets and drilling and tapping the holes. Then replace the inner rubber disc.

Personally I would replace it.

Does it leak all the time or just when you turn the fuel on or off?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure yet if it leaks all the time or just when on or off.

What is a good replacement?

And if I wanted to repair it I can't find that specific part (the rubber disc).

·
Registered
8 Posts
What you can do is simply flip the rubber seal disc.

They are good quality and stay quite pliable over the years.

The side that sits flat against the petcock body doesnt get distorted with time so you can clean up the deformations that are causing your leaks with a razborblade and tap as suggested above.

I've tapped mine with M4X0.7 which matches the size of the rivets and fits throught the holes in the lever cover perfectly. Its a bit tight but if youre exact you get a nice result.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey, thanks! I'll likely give that a try.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought I'd follow up on this.

Drilled the rivets out of the petcock lever cover:

Wire Cable Auto part

Drilled through with a tap bit for M3 machine screws (note one hole is blind if you're gonna do this, but there is plenty meat in the petcock housing such that you needn't worry about not having enough depth of material available to tap your threads even if you don't have a bottoming tap):

Wire Fashion accessory Metal

I gently pried the cover off and quickly discovered at least one reason why fuel was seeping around the lever:

Finger Hand Lock Fastener Brass

I'd have just replaced the o-ring, but it has kind of a square clover-leaf profile, so I got out the super-glue and put this one back together. We'll see how long it lasts, and then I'll get a regular round o-ring.

Pendant Locket Fashion accessory Hand Jewellery

Anyway, tapped the holes, cleaned everything up, flipped the rubber disc over as suggested earlier in the thread, and put it back together.

Auto part Automotive engine part

Auto part Hand Wire

Reactions: DanCX500

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh cool! Thanks! :D

Reactions: DanCX500
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.