Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How come no matter where I go to find a nice, curvy road there ALWAYS has to be some jerk creeping along in front of me? I just had 200 miles of the Blue Ridge Parkway ruined by a slowpoke. One would pull into an overlook and another would replace him. Then I finally get to try NC226A and what happens? Some jerk doing 20mph all the way down the mountain. There is one road within 20 miles of here with a few curves. Never have been able to do the speed limit down it thanks to brain dead soccer moms. There is a turnoff about 5 miles from here that I always used to do 55 through when I had a car. But now I have a bike there is always some puke who takes it at 20.

I am having a hell of a time wearing the nibs off the sides of my tires due to these wastes of flesh.

How do you cope? Is it possible to find a curvy road and have it deserted? I just want to be able to spend about 30 minutes at my skill level without being slowed down. It's not like I am some kind of expert, I'm not. But this is getting extremely frustrating.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I know how you feel, even though it has been about 30 years since I always wanted to drive on the edge. Now, I would cope the same way I do if I'm driving my truck and catch up to a never ending line of motor homes and holiday trailers doing about 20 under. I remind myself that there is no minimum speed limit on this road, that the slow pokes have as much right on the road as I have, and if that doesn't work then I pull off at the first chance and have a coffee. But then I've reached an age where I'm usually pretty happy just to go with the flow. As a matter of fact, at my age I'm pretty happy just to be able to go at all. So maybe I shouldn't even comment on your post. I can only faintly remember the days when I wanted to pass everything in sight, and usually did.

Most importantly, don't ever let the frustration get the best of your better judgement. I know that I used to, and when I think back at some of the chances I took I can hardly believe that I lived to tell the tale.

Just wondering. Are there any tracks in your area where you could go and ride to your skill level without having to cope with ordinary road traffic? I was lucky when I was a young guy because the Army had just abandoned a driver training base, and for a couple of years we could use it for free. Lots of twisties, ups and downs, some pavement and some sand and even a couple of water hazards. Then a property developer took it over bulldozed it flat and built a housing subdivision with hundreds of ticky-tacky little houses.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only track around here is Lowe's Motor Speedway ans I have begged and begged for the chance to drive ANYTHING on that track. They won't allow it. Unless you have around $20,000 to rent it for a few hours.

I don't take chances, nor do I wish to go fast. I just would enjoy doing the speed limit once in a while. Some people brake on every curve, whether they need to or not. It makes my blood boil when I get behind people that have no business in a vehicle. Driving is not something that everyone can do. Certainly not as many as have cars and licenses. Seems they just hand them out to anyone with a pulse.

Never forget, the average IQ is 100. That means half of all the people you see on any given day are retarded.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Coincidentally (postings to a another thread on this board), I was down the Cape today, in an area with great fun roads, but was stuck in a long line of traffic, what do you suppose was crawling along at 25MPH in a 45 zone....two friggin poser douch bags riding (guess, just guess)'s with open pipes, one even had ape hangers (truth through accessories.) If I was on a bike I would have blown past them easily, and gotten as far away as I could, least anyone think I had anything to do with those putz's.

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Steve,

You should really move to Milwaukee. They're everywhere here. But don't worry I thought I heard that they are moving a part of their production to Singapore.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/corporatenews/view/1129928/1/.html

Eventually American Made Iron will be sold in American but not built if they can find a way to make it sound good. Like we're installing bigger pistons that can only be installed by a small hand efficiently.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
I have usually tried to schedule my "special rides", like the BRParkway, Maritimes, New England, etc, for mid september, when there is very little traffic, no vacationers, etc. Weather is nice, kids are back in school so families stay home, most folks are resigned to "oh well, summer's over". NOT!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well .... its the 217th law of nature. If you driving in the car and hear that great song you havent heard in 15 years while your 2 min from home, the roads will be totally deserted. If you want a nice ride (where you actaully get to stay in a gear for more than 4 seconds) you have to take the sidewalks.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
" I just would enjoy doing the speed limit once in a while."

There is always the interstate highway system where you can get your thrills.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.