Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I bought my 650i earlier this spring, It came with some iridium spark plugs. I replaced them with NGKs that are recommended in the manual. What benefit is there to iridium plugs, and are they safe and effective in my 650?

David

·
Registered
845 Posts
You put them in and pretty much forget about them. The turbos require gold palladiums which should be replaced every 2K miles as per the manual. I installed Iridiums and after the 7K miles I've seen no noticeable wear, the gaps are still spot on. Great in the CXTs and will probably last the life of the engine in a normal CX.

On the other hand I didn't like them at all in my Hayabusa. Seemed to crank longer at start up, drop in mileage and seat of pants power loss. After 1K miles I pulled them and put the original NGKs back in with over 12K miles on them. Everything went back to normal including instant one crank starts. I'm at 18K miles on those original NGKs now and will probably throw another standard set in soon.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Yep Agreed.

Iridium is the center electrode material. Lasts for years, without changing. But comes at a cost $$$. Plugs are so easy to change on the Twisted Twin engine, it may be worth costing Half a dozen standard plugs, compared to Iridium, in dollar terms.

As George said You just install them and basically thats it . I'm curious, George, could you tell me how much the Gold Palladiums cost in the States?? Iridiums in Oz, cost about $18 AUD each. I'm guessing thats about $15-16 USD ??

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yep Agreed.

Iridium is the center electrode material. Lasts for years, without changing. But comes at a cost $$$. Plugs are so easy to change on the Twisted Twin engine, it may be worth costing Half a dozen standard plugs, compared to Iridium, in dollar terms.

As George said You just install them and basically thats it . I'm curious, George, could you tell me how much the Gold Palladiums cost in the States?? Iridiums in Oz, cost about $18 AUD each. I'm guessing thats about $15-16 USD ??

The local Honda dealers had to order them. I paid around $11.00 each but that was quite a few years ago. Iridiums were only around $7.00 each ordered online and are tougher than the Gold Palladiums.

Good idea to Never Seez the threads on long lasting plugs during install. Run them for 120K miles in a car and they're not going to want to come back out.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Iridium erodes slower when subjected to an electric arc across it thus it holds the proper gap longer.

Iridium is a tougher metal which allows for a smaller center electrode, smaller is easier to inititate an arc with.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
when i installed my iridium plugs i noticed quicker starts and better running and also the spark is solid at least what i can tell when i did my research on them to me they are great plugs and they didnt cost me a dime to get i was working at true value hardware store and i ordered them thru napa and napa billed true value i went to pay for them and i they told me no not to worry about it at that time they were 15 bucks a plug

·
Registered
422 Posts
I tried them years back on my Mustang...they were crap for that application.

Since then, everything I've used has been good ol' copper-core plugs and I've never had a problem. Even on the SRT-4.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
One of my Iridiums is on 20,000 miles so has worked out pretty good.The other one gave in at 18,000 miles.

The other pair had about 8,000 miles on them but I nicked one of them for my present bike.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
when i installed my iridium plugs i noticed quicker starts and better running and also the spark is solid at least what i can tell when i did my research on them to me they are great plugs and they didnt cost me a dime to get i was working at true value hardware store and i ordered them thru napa and napa billed true value i went to pay for them and i they told me no not to worry about it at that time they were 15 bucks a plug
Some people will say there's no difference between the iridium and a normal plug, but I noticed the same basic thing.  My bike seemed to immediately start better after I installed the iridiums.  For the price I don't see why anybody wouldn't get them, you're only getting 2 and like Shep said they're going to last for years!

·
Registered
503 Posts
I heard that you have to turn down/change the cap to make them resemble a screw as they do not have a "nut" to remove. Is that true?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts