Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I'm a relative newbie on the other forum as well, but I was astonished after riding on hard surfaced roads that my back wheel was as dirty as it was! Greasy dirt to boot. I didn't drive over any such surface. It was all hard and clean. Is it coming from my bike?

JC

·
Registered
381 Posts
OK...I'm a relative newbie on the other forum as well, but I was astonished after riding on hard surfaced roads that my back wheel was as dirty as it was! Greasy dirt to boot. I didn't drive over any such surface. It was all hard and clean. Is it coming from my bike?

JC

If you're riding in the center of your lane, it's not as clean as you think. That's where cars drop whatever's leaking.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Since your back tire is smaller than your front tire the back tire turns more revolutions to go the same distance as the front one....there for it is coming in contact with the dirt or whatever is on the road more than the front tire therefore causing it to get dirtier.

How's that for an analytical, scientifically researched, logical answer to your question ? LMAO

If you think about it this is why the rear tire wears out faster than the front, it's surface is used more to go the same distance as the front.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
"How's that for an analytical, scientifically researched, logical answer to your question ?"

Not very good, actually. If you ride a mile, both front and rear tires are contacting a mile of "dirty" road. No matter the diameter of the tire. One might argue that after the front tire picks up a little dirt, there is less for the rear to catch?

The front tire is probably stirring up some junk that the rear wheel then has to ride through though.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Rick, I hate to also burst your mental bubble, but with a smaller tire, it is spinning faster and therefore should throw off dirt better than a slower turning one.

Now for what may be the answer. JC do you have the caps on the drain tubes that come from the bottom of the air box? The air box acts as a separator for the crankcase vapors and you will collect a significant amount of oil in the bottom of the airbox. This oil will drain out of the hoses in front of the rear wheel unless there are caps on the hoses. You should be able to easily see these, and they need to be removed and the oil drained out every oil change.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"How's that for an analytical, scientifically researched, logical answer to your question ?"

Not very good, actually. If you ride a mile, both front and rear tires are contacting a mile of "dirty" road. No matter the diameter of the tire. One might argue that after the front tire picks up a little dirt, there is less for the rear to catch?

The front tire is probably stirring up some junk that the rear wheel then has to ride through though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK...now that I've figured out how to reply...Blue Fox, you are right about those tubes coming down from above. Since I haven't purchased (or downloaded) a shop manual I was wondering about them. They do not have any plugs in them...therefore I suspect, based on your diagnosis, that they are indeed spewing all over the place. Got to get that shop manual! Thanks. JC

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Just a lucky guess on the tube caps. Now these are the larger tubes, about the size of your little finger. The caps are really no more than little plugs that slip inside. You could substitute any plug that would fit snugly in the hose. Maybe even something like a toothpaste tube cap turned around. Or a wire nut connector.

Don't block the 3 small tubes, they are the carb drains and the battery drian.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Those larger diameter tubes Blue's talking about catch a mix of oil and engine gunk and are supposed to be emptied every once and a while.  If they aren't plugged, you'll have a constant mist of oil coming out, so hopefully that'll clear up your dirty problem.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Those larger diameter tubes Blue's talking about catch a mix of oil and engine gunk and are supposed to be emptied every once and a while.  If they aren't plugged, you'll have a constant mist of oil coming out, so hopefully that'll clear up your dirty problem.

Heh... that would explain the spots of oil in my garage. And here I was thinking there was something wrong with the bike, that it was building excessive crankcase pressure. Glad somebody pointed out that those were supposed to be capped off.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Since your back tire is smaller than your front tire the back tire turns more revolutions to go the same distance as the front one....there for it is coming in contact with the dirt or whatever is on the road more than the front tire therefore causing it to get dirtier.

How's that for an analytical, scientifically researched, logical answer to your question ? LMAO

If you think about it this is why the rear tire wears out faster than the front, it's surface is used more to go the same distance as the front.

Ha ha ha...good one, I thought it was the weight from my fat a$$ that was wearing out the rear tire 1st.

But seriously tho, I am going to go with the theory of vent tubes/diff leak spewing onto the tire for the dirt/grime.

Rick

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I don't like capping breathers....let them do that....breathe and spew, no back pressure.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
hmm ok so let me get this right THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE CAPPED? mine arnt and i have never had a problem with anything leaking out of them and my tire is not dirty either so now having the capped will that cause in difference in performance or what?? i kind of doubt it can cause any change damn it stitch now you have me thinking again......

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
They aren't breathers. They are drain hoses that are ment to be plugged.

Breathers, vent hoses, drain hoses, whatever, excuse my Canadian.

So cap em and then un cap em right?

How often?

·
Super Moderator
15,404 Posts
Once a year. There are a bunch of other little things you can do at the same time. Like greasing the zerks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.