1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The question was why. As with most I started out on tricycles to small bicycles with training wheels to a really nice go-cart at age of 6. Built a lot of things including a hovercraft that worked poorly but I never gave up. Back then you could buy a semi-seized 125 Yamaha Enduro for $25, put $25 more into it off you went.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Bikes and horses. The feeling is the same. Getting away while going. Independence and adventure. Feeling of freedom. A way to clear thoughts and get rid of stress. A feeling of unselfish confidence and pride. I never ride for utility but it sure is ok for those who do. No matter how cold or wet or miserable the ride was as long as no mishap happens, it was a good ride. It's always better than church.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Ok Marshal

The reason why is I love to get out and see stuff. I have been riding quads/fourwheelers since 1988. Yeah I was 7. We had lots of land and state land behind it so I could drive for hours. The only advantage/disadvantage was the mud. And I got it everywhere.

Well truck and cars don't really give the same feeling but there was a bike that needed help and I brought it back to life. Nothing beats getting out in the country where the roads aren't straight and the hills start rolling.

Plus the bike getting 40-50mpg beats my truck getting 13-20mpg.

·
Registered
329 Posts
They must ride pretty slow at age 81 if it takes them 13 days to 1100 km. I'd hate to get stuck behind them on the highway. What is that like 50 miles a day ?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
there is one hell of a difference,being trapped driving a car and riding a bike.its the escapeism.a disease,an illness..you either suffer from it,or you dont.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
They must ride pretty slow at age 81 if it takes them 13 days to 1100 km. I'd hate to get stuck behind them on the highway. What is that like 50 miles a day ?
That is about all the daily miles that Jeremy is doing on his trip to South America ... so maybe, if you are really going to smell the roses along the way, that isn't so bad.

I started riding at 15 1/2 before I had my car license. It was legal to ride solo with temps back then. It was my declaration of independence.

No one in my family had ever ridden a motorcycle until me and my dads only experience with a motorcycle was one ride on the back of a 4 cylinder Indian and the person operating it passed an plane that was overhead. (Yes, both the bikes and the airplanes were slower then) MY dad never rode on a bike again and only complained about them. He never tried to stop me from getting a bike and that has always made me wonder why.

My 87 year old mother mother likes to ride with me and she enjoys the fact that I take her over 100 mph every time I take her for a ride. She likes the bragging rights it gives her with her friends in her retirement building. She was never on a motorcycle in her life until a lady friend of mine convinced her to try a ride with me 2 years after my dad died. She has never turned down a ride since. Unfortunately it is a real job to get her on and off the bike with her arthritis.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Nice Video. That's why I still ride.

I got my first bike at 16 (Harley 250). Had to move out of my parents house as they would never let me have one so got a job and bought it for $300. Never been without one since. Couldn't afford both a car and bike so I was 30 before I got my first car.

Riding a motorcycle is nothing like riding a car. You are out in the elements. You can see the road racing beneath you. You do not have the distractions of radio, A/C, etc. and you can just enjoy the journey.

At 50, many say I should stop riding. I have carpal tunnel with can make holding the throttle painful at times. I have back problems with can interfere with riding. And though I usually take shorter trips now, I'll never quit. There's nothing like it.

G

·
Why do I ride.............to get away,to see the sights,to go where a car can't,to smell the cow @#@# in the pastures,to keep my road awareness up.

I'm 53 and hope to be able to still ride when i'm a lot older but probably on a smaller/lighter bike

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I ride to live, and to be as free as America will allow me to be, of course I still have to wear a helmet, and can only go so fast, and have a million other restrictions, it's as close as an American can be to being free... The gas mileage helps, and the chicks dig it, but if I got 20 mpg and chicks hated it I'd still ride most of the time, maybe not if it was raining hard or freezing cold out, but I'd still ride a lot. If there isn't ice on the road and my bike appears to be legal, I'll ride, unfortunately the tag expired the day after snow fell, and I have a suspended license, so no riding for me, even though it was in the mid 30's here New Years Eve, wanted to ride so damn bad!!!!!

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
maybe it's because it was one of the sweet tastes of "forbidden fruit" when I was a rebellious adolescent...

Why? because I don't have to have a reason why... oK? so there, THAT"S why!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i ride to get away from it all and to clear my head and i will ride for a hour or two and wonder how the hell i got were i am at........with no idea even and thats fine with me

i cant remember whos signature says 4 wheels move the body but 2 wheels move the soul well thats what i tell people that dont ride when they ask why do i ride when i have a young child and i tell them that

if my stator wasnt shot i would still be riding my bike to oklahoma.......my wife would be driving the truck but i cant so the bike gets put in the back of the truck........

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
+1 to all the replies PLUS! I can go out on my motorcycle and spend much less money than taking my fishing boat out, have MORE fun, and catch just as many fish. rofl

To those who ride, no explanation is necessary. To those who don't ride, no explanation is possible.

It is much more better to be out riding and thinking about God, than to be in church thinking about riding.

These are my short answers.....To hear the long answer/s?........Keep reading..Cuz they all apply.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Nice Video. That's why I still ride.

I got my first bike at 16 (Harley 250). Had to move out of my parents house as they would never let me have one so got a job and bought it for $300. Never been without one since. Couldn't afford both a car and bike so I was 30 before I got my first car.

Riding a motorcycle is nothing like riding a car. You are out in the elements. You can see the road racing beneath you. You do not have the distractions of radio, A/C, etc. and you can just enjoy the journey.

At 50, many say I should stop riding. I have carpal tunnel with can make holding the throttle painful at times. I have back problems with can interfere with riding. And though I usually take shorter trips now, I'll never quit. There's nothing like it.

CX-V, my first motorized bike was a Whizzer, at age 12. It was followed by many more bikes but I did not have to move out, 2 of my brothers had already blazed that trail. Unfortunately I did have a gap of non-ownership. Built a family but continued to ride friends bikes, I had some great friends!

Anyone who tells you to stop riding because you have reached some age is full of it! I just turned 72, and there are older members than I on this board, up into their 80s! My buddy Don from Oz and I took a 15,000+ mile trip in 08 to Alaska and Canada, he is a year older than me. I have arthrits in both hands and it hurts to to hold the bars all the time, I will never quit, when I quit riding you know you will shortly receive an invitation to my funeral!

BTW I see you live in the Volunteer state, I am in the Boro, about 30 miles se of Nashville, where do you hang your hat?

Gene

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Why? Hmmm.... to all the non-riders I say why not?

Theres a very good quote from an unknown source that says......

"You never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrists office."

That would be my reason why.....excellent mind therapy.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.