Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just thinking about the places i'm going to go on the bike this summer and I got to thinking why do you go where?

Melody has her own little weird agendas but one of them is lighthouses on the great lakes. If there is a lighthouse and we are near we go there. She also has a thing for national parks.

Personally I like riding by lakes and wooded country side. The ability to stop at small rivers or clearings for a break. I like seeing wildlife as long as it doesn't jump out in front of me.

What's yours.

It could even be Dairy Queen.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi Stitch......

For me it is to just enjoy being out and away from home, work, etc.

Also a chance for my Bride and I to get away together.

When I'm on my own, I just go where the road may lead me ....kind of "I wonder where this goes".

But ending at a DQ works too

Greg

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Was just thinking about the places i'm going to go on the bike this summer and I got to thinking why do you go where?

Melody has her own little weird agendas but one of them is lighthouses on the great lakes. If there is a lighthouse and we are near we go there. She also has a thing for national parks.

Personally I like riding by lakes and wooded country side. The ability to stop at small rivers or clearings for a break. I like seeing wildlife as long as it doesn't jump out in front of me.

What's yours.

It could even be Dairy Queen.
Don,

At the site I have already given you is a link to download to your GPS every lighthouse in the USA and it tell you on the GPS if it is open to the public.

Here is the link again.

http://www.poi-factory.com/

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don,

At the site I have already given you is a link to download to your GPS every lighthouse in the USA and it tell you on the GPS if it is open to the public.

Here is the link again.

http://www.poi-factory.com/

Dave,

I saw that some time back and grabbed it right away. Obviously last sunday we made a run down to the Brat for a Milwaukee Vintage Moto event. When I asked her where she wanted to ride on the way home she said to the lake. Of course we ended up stopping at the Wind Point Lighthouse.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
why do i go,its a disease,i love the freedom

where....im a bit limited really,sea on one side,mountains on the other,no roads over them.so,you have to go around,theres 30 miles already.i have to spend the day out really,otherwise im forever covering the same ground.

but i do love rideing through orange,olive and lemon groves.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I WANT to take a road trip to Patriots Point and the USS North Carolina Battleship.

If I can get this bike running well enough I am comfortable taking her on a road trip this summer I am planning a four day trip. There will be no camping. My back will not take it anymore. Unless hotels are too much for my blood, then I will look for camp sites.

Day 1: get there (6 hrs) spend the night have dinner with my Grandmother!

Day 2: Patriots Point, Fort Sumter, and Fort Moultrie.

Day 3: USS North Carolina

Day 4: Come home (7 1/2 hrs)

Day 5: Rest and organize to return to work life!

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I just like to ride with my bride. We usually just pick a direction and ride. Along the way we stop at thrift stores, flea markets, resale shops or anywhere else that looks interesting like museums or bookstores. We've gotten lost many times and haven't regretted it yet.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Melody has her own little weird agendas but one of them is lighthouses on the great lakes.

Have you brought her to the lighthouse museum north of Paradise, Michigan yet?

My riding agenda is simple: twisty roads. If I can add mountains to that, all the better.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Anywhere nicer, less congested, and more enjoyable than Florida. I like mountains...until last year I had never even seen one before. Same goes for "real" twisty roads. Nothing even comes close to the Blue Ridge Parkway down here. I do like riding US98 though. I rode it just because it looked like it'd be the quickest way to get home without hitting the interstate when coming back from my last trip, and it ended up being an amazing road with some light curves that ran alongside the ocean for quite a while.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Right now I ride for necessity. I'm still "too new" to enjoy riding, but I'm getting there. Right now I am still too tense. My wife (BlackWing) and I were talking tonight. I told her that I actually forced myself to learn to ride on the highways - probably sooner than I should have. I was riding 60-70 on the highway within a week of getting my first bike. Today I made my longest ride - 65 miles one way to work riding around 75mph 2/3 of the way. I am determined not to put any more gas in that 4wd truck if the weather is nice enough to ride the bike. So far I have rode around 950 miles since I got the bike a couple of months ago. Around 800 of that has been in the last few weeks.

Funny you mention DQ! Susan and I ended up at DQ for a Mini Blizzard one day while we were riding!

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you brought her to the lighthouse museum north of Paradise, Michigan yet?

My riding agenda is simple: twisty roads. If I can add mountains to that, all the better.

Actually we haven't been there because we usually take the south road straight to the bridge. Closest we get is stopping at the McDonalds in Newberry and then head on down to trout lake.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Right now I ride for necessity. I'm still "too new" to enjoy riding, but I'm getting there. Right now I am still too tense. My wife (BlackWing) and I were talking tonight. I told her that I actually forced myself to learn to ride on the highways - probably sooner than I should have. I was riding 60-70 on the highway within a week of getting my first bike. Today I made my longest ride - 65 miles one way to work riding around 75mph 2/3 of the way. I am determined not to put any more gas in that 4wd truck if the weather is nice enough to ride the bike. So far I have rode around 950 miles since I got the bike a couple of months ago. Around 800 of that has been in the last few weeks.

Funny you mention DQ! Susan and I ended up at DQ for a Mini Blizzard one day while we were riding!

When I first started riding I always tried to find an excuse to ride. Hell I remember leaving my GPS on in my car so I would have an excuse to take my bike to work...which at the time as a home health aid, so I sorta needed a car haha. I'd "get lost" plenty of times. Now, not as much as before, but I still enjoy it....and for some reason I'm always extremely excited to ride when it's raining.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Actually we haven't been there because we usually take the south road straight to the bridge. Closest we get is stopping at the McDonalds in Newberry and then head on down to trout lake.

Make sure you get her up there someday. Paradise is a fun little town, the museum has a display on all the ships that have sunk in Superior (Edmund Fitzgerald being the most famous), plus a tour of the old lighthouse, and there is a very nice State Park nearby as well.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
...and for some reason I'm always extremely excited to ride when it's raining.

Funny! I forget where you are Cramer, (fill out your profile) but we get our share of rain here in the NW. NOT ALWAYS like the rest of the country thinks....but I digress.

I don't mind riding in the rain, but only, and IF only, I'm dead set mentally for it and prepared, clothing wise. It is kinda fun in its' own way.

To topic, the majority of my riding has been commuting for the past 9 years, with maybe 5 trips of any significant length. I hope to change that as we get Rampsbaby up to speed on her Shadow, and as the locals become more grouped up.

To date, my favorite trip was the Mt Hood loop, in the early spring about 3 years ago. I know the local guys want to do another shot up to Mt. St. Helens. The coast is on the agenda when RB gets comfortable.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I live on a barrier island out on the North Carolina coast that's about 25 miles long and 400-500 yards wide in most spots. My favorite ride these days is from Topsail Beach on the south end all the way to the north end, cross over onto the mainland over a high bridge that gives several miles of vista up at its crown, then follow the shore road to Sneeds Ferry, a very old fishing village. Then it's a quick cut over to Highway 17 and a high speed run back down to where I can cross back onto the island. Nice views, little traffic, followed by a 15-20 minute spurt at 60 MPH before I have to slow down again.

Although we have plenty of twisty country roads around here, I tend to avoid them due to the deer which also live around here. There are certain hours that it's taking a crap shoot to go out and ride on them.

Some guy got killed yesterday riding to work at 0500 on a scooter not 6 miles from my house. Swerved to avoid a deer and got run over for his trouble by another vehicle. No charges pending as they say it was unavoidable.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
i ride because "all roads lead home it just depends on which roads you take" and sense moving to oklahoma city i have found that riding here is rather cool besides the rush hour traffic other than that its a beautiful state

and plus the sights are neat to...........every one be safe out there and enjoy the ride

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.