Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Why?

Why do you folks do the modifications?

5K views 37 replies 27 participants last post by  bahn88 
#1 ·
I'm sure this has been done before but some recent posts got me thinking again. I sometimes don't understand why anyone would take something and delve so deep into it to make it what is isn't. I must be getting old. *yawn* Have at it gang.

See less See more
#2 ·
It's all about accommodations.

Saddlebag/trailer hitch

Harley seat

6 1/3 gallon tank with larger harley petcock

Taller daytona profile handlebars.

Hid Headlight

Ignitech and pit bike coils.

Mac 2 into 1

Cx650 clutch

I cant wait to fire the bike up and test out the led battery monitor that I mounted in the speedometer.

I'm sure there's more that I misplaced while making my list.

#3 ·
The CX is a neat bike IMHO. For what I want, it fits the bill perfectly. I have no desire to rat, chop, or otherwise to my bike. If I desire a racer, then I will go get a racer. If the flavor of the week is a chopper, then I'll get a chopper. It makes no sense for me to take a perfectly good and functional bike and cut it up to make something else of it. If my bike weren't as clean and in as good of shape, then this would likely be a different story.

I'm not a purist, though. My bike was well cared for and my goal is to keep it as close to origional as I can. However, I would like to get a different seat (read: more comfortable) on it and do a couple of other things along the way. Maybe some paint work later on, heated grips, modern lighting (LED/HID), updated ignition, and some other things to make the bike more reliable.

For those that want and do customize their bike, keep on keepin' on. To each his (or her) own! I know that customizing a bike (or car) is a lot of fun. There is a great satisfaction in creating a unique ride. Many here do phenominal work, and I enjoy seeing the fruits of their labor.

#4 ·
Modifications (and life for that matter) are about getting the most out of what you have. My slight modifications have all been to make the bike I could afford into the bike I desire. While I like many things about a CX500 Custom, there are things I don't so why live with those?

In a perfect world where all types and styles of bikes are available at the same price, the idea of modifying one would be ridiculous. But until I find that world, I'll do the best I can with what affordable and available.

Plus modifications can be just plain fun. As can owning a one of a kind customized ride.

#6 ·
More functional/more stylish. I've never been one to leave anything alone - I always make stuff more "me." I figure if some random designer knew exactly what I wanted, it's either A) because I ordered custom and spent a lot of money, or
that's creepy.

modification/personalization is a good way to not get lost in the sea of normalcy and mediocrity. Not to mention a gratifying sense of personal satisfaction.

#8 ·
I like to know exactly which bike is mine when I glance over at the long lineup of 100's of bikes. I like to make it "mine". I have never tried to put my key in someone else's bike. I feel like anyone can go out and buy a bike, but only the select few of us are willing and able to tear it down, cut it up and then make it beautiful again!!

#9 ·
Update, upgrade & personalize.

When I was younger, I used to work in the automotive aftermarket distribution system. Trust me, every male employee's 'hobby' was to buy parts (at cost) and jazz up their daily driver. I've fully customized a van (back in the 80's) including pulling out the automatic tranny and putting in a 4-speed, built a couple or three motors from the block up, painted a couple cars afterwards, and eventually got out of that business. I guess I never got over the customizing/personalizing 'bug'. Seems I just can't drive/ride 'plain vanilla.'

During this last long, cold, excessively snowy, New England winter, the bug bit again, and I realized I couldn't afford to do a car (money and space), but a project bike I could afford much easier and even fit into my semi-heated workshop. Lo and behold, after wandering Craiglist aimlessly for no-bike-in-particular, eventually, I guess the CX found me.

It's about 75% done, and pictures should be coming in a couple weeks.

#15 ·
Oh how much I wish I had ONE MORE GEAR, unless I have missed something I wonder if some other bike be it Honda, BMW, Yamaha or such has a pinion assembly that has a taller gear ratio? What would be really slick is an overdrive adapter.

#16 ·
Gl/Cx650 clutch and primary gear swap will do what you're suggesting minus adding a gear. The easiest way I can explain it is it feels like 4 is 4 1/2, 5 becomes overdrive. It's not a total 6th gear but close. And the clutch is stronger.

#17 ·
It's fundamentally a silly question. Have you ever bought a man's suit off the rack? The first thing the salesman does is mark it for alterations. Now don't say "now that's different" it's not different at all. It's as basic as why buy a motorcycle at all?

Now to answer the question: Because I want it to fit me on all levels, size, shape, function, style, and personality. I've read through most of the posts and many guys didn't answer the question.

Cheers, 50gary

#19 ·
Gary, that is an excellent analogy!!

The same reasons you call me a spitfire. The same reason I put purple in my hair. I have a little bit of an attitude at times, and sometimes I blend in, but I don't like to be like everyone else around me.

The seat by itself was fine- but to keep that seat and have it recovered vs putting on the HD seat. The HD seat looks different, and with the paintjob the most common question I'm asked is "What kind of bike is that?" I don't get "Gee, that's a nice Goldwing" or "That's a cute little Sportster you have there" I've changed it enough to keep the basic idea, but to make it my own..... and I love it.

Dakota.....you go girl!! If only I could get my girlfriend to learn to ride (and put some purple in her hair!) then life would be perfect!

#18 ·
The same reasons you call me a spitfire. The same reason I put purple in my hair. I have a little bit of an attitude at times, and sometimes I blend in, but I don't like to be like everyone else around me.

The seat by itself was fine- but to keep that seat and have it recovered vs putting on the HD seat. The HD seat looks different, and with the paintjob the most common question I'm asked is "What kind of bike is that?" I don't get "Gee, that's a nice Goldwing" or "That's a cute little Sportster you have there" I've changed it enough to keep the basic idea, but to make it my own..... and I love it.

#21 ·
I agree with everyone. I think that most people simply do the modifications to make it their own, their vision and unique. I am not bashing on the guys that like everything original (because I think those are cool too) but for me, I do want something that anyone else owns. I mean my bike can have some similarities but I want it to stand out. This reason is why I have ape hangers, rigid struts, no fender, no guages, and no blinkers.

APE HANGERS SAVE LIVES!

#28 ·
You know, I guess I can buy into what most of you are saying, but...

Let me tell you a story.

I was 19, in the midst of restoring a BSA 650cc Super Rocket down at school (SIU, Carbondale) when an Italian kid in the dorm received a crate containing a motorcycle. After uncrating it, he went in and borrowed a hacksaw and proceeded to saw and chop the fenders. I pleased with him with my checkbook, but he said "I want to make this my custom bike".

He proceeded over the next few months to destroy the last BSA Goldstar Clubman to be purchased in Chicago.

The fact that he was Italian had nothing to do with this story. The kid was just a tasteless ass.

#30 ·
I chose to make the bike MORE suitable for ME! I hope one day to make a set of highway peg bars, as riding in the upright position, although, alright for short rides, becomes rather uncomfortable on the knees n feets for longer excursions. Don't ask me how i know this......lol

And, although the gl500 didn't come with a vetter fairing,tall trunk or saddlebags, I have 'em. Which gives my GL more places to "put my stuff" which are more motorcycle specific (leather jacket, half helmet, rain suit, MORE tools, emergency gas can w/ syringe..etc. etc. etc.), AND gives it the LOOK of an interstate model (NONE of which I have seen in black), it is, nevertheless, MODDED for MY wants and (as I sees it) the bikes NEEDS.

#33 ·
Over 50 votes and none yet for Performance(horsepower). Not much to be done there I suppose - weight reduction(effective HP) and the electric fan mod(reducing parasitic drag) are the only effective option beyond restoring to original tune.

#36 ·
The Honda CB350 single cylinder for the Indian market gives me hope for my high tech, Retro Dream bike:

A GL650/750 with fuel injection, abs, traction control, a Frunk and DCT.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.