Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like every time I ride my motorcycle aggressively something else will fall off.

I was going down a long straight road (read: a normal Florida road) with a limit of 65. I was of course doing 85+ (pegged out) and decided that even though I was surprisingly comfortable with my GP Touring bars, I wanted more lean. So I put my feet on my passenger pegs. Once I was getting near my destination and had to slow down, I put my feet back.

Reached my destination. Went back to the bike, and all was well. Some moron decides to run a stop sign in the parking lot, then stop halfway in the drive and wave me through....so I went over the speed hump a bit faster than I should have, and heard an extra "clunk" that I'm not accustomed to. Hmm, whatever, must be my bags.

Went back on the same road, and passed a few people going faster than I should have been going, and then pulled over for gas. I noticed that that *clunk* from earlier was my right side cover falling off. I also recalled the idiot who ran the stop sign tailgating me until the speed hump, and a bit of a *crunch* as they went over the speed hump. I thought that it was just their suspension.

I'm too tired and too frustrated to go back to class, so I guess tomorrow I'll look around and see if I can find the remnants of my sidecover. I was going to get it repainted soon anyhow, so buying one from the salvage yard probably won't make too big of a difference, but now I'll be riding with uneven sidecovers until I finally get them painted. FML.

·
Registered
128 Posts
That stinks man. I just got my euro bars, but I haven't really got a feel for them yet, as I'm having issues. I'm having to do a bit more re routing of the wires and control cables.... But my short amount of time in the cockpit have felt pretty good.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
I'm not sure you can say that losing a side cover equates to the bike not liking being aggressively. Take into account the age of the tabs and grommets. Check your chassis bolts etc. too. If everything is snugged up the way it was designed, it would be unlikely to have problems. Side covers are the rare breed to find around just for the reason you experienced.

I agree that sucks though.

My two cents.

Joel in the Couve.

·
Registered
264 Posts
i ride my bike pretty hard and my luggage never falls off.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
If you don´t wish to lose a side cover it´s important that the grommets and "pegs" are in good condition. Rubber will lose its softness with age. New grommets don´t cost much and are a good investment. If the "pegs" are worn, try to build them up a little. Especially the one low down on the side cover is designed to be pushed in - not slid.

I check (and replace, if necessary) my grommets on a more or less regular basis. Haven´t lost one yet, but one of the bikes has a tendency to try and throw the rhs one off at high speed (rpms) and strong sidewind from the left. So far (twice) have I caught the sidecover with my right leg/knee.

I don´t know how many sidecovers I´ve until now sold to other CX owners who had lost theirs. Guys that I believe never gave one single thought to such stuff as grommets.

As a matter of fact does a CX like to be ridden hard - if in good condition. And will just come back, asking for more...

Sture

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I drilled a small hole at the bottom of my side cover and put a plastic zip tie through the cover and grommet hole. Also just purchased a brand new OEM right side cover, so now I have 3 of them. If you beat on anything hard enough you will break it. Everything tends tword disorder.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
They are not available. But once in a while you can find new things, still in original packaging on the bay. That is where I found this one. I have no plans for it, and seeing as though as it is rather rare, I think it might sit on a shelf for another 20 years.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not blaming the bike. I just found that this would be a funny story. I know that it's my fault lol.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I lost a side cover on mine when it wasn't old - in the late 80s!

On the Interstate!

Got totally lucky and made it back to it with it getting damaged!

Everytime a car would fly by it would hover up in the air as I cringed

trying to get to it without wrecking or getting run over!

Personally I think its a poor design but many Hondas use it.

The safety cable idea is good.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Once a week on Saturday or Sunday during riding season I do the following:

Check oil

Check tire pressure

Look all around engine for leaks of any kind

Grab engine guards real good and kind of lift and yank the bike to check for anything loose

Check clutch and throttle cables for proper free play

Check all lights including each brake light mechanism is functioning properly and blinkers

Honk horn

CHECK TIGHTNESS OF SIDE COVERS by giving them a little tug

I used to see them for sale all the time on Ebay...hope you can find another one.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
HERE is a link to the lower grommets that hold the side covers on. They have the upper ones that go in the two round holes too. But you'll have to email them and ask if they are in stock.

Here's the cheapest right side cover I could find in the bay.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If it's any consolation I averaged one bolt/day for a long time.

At one point I had string in place of 5 different bolts at once! Ive gone through a set of passenger pegs and one muffler.

It's funny that you mentioned the side cover, mine has taken to trying to pop off as well just this past week, usually starts at the top back corner. I've found it loose against my leg a couple of times.

CX's do seem to like shedding parts!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
If it's any consolation I averaged one bolt/day for a long time.

At one point I had string in place of 5 different bolts at once! Ive gone through a set of passenger pegs and one muffler.

It's funny that you mentioned the side cover, mine has taken to trying to pop off as well just this past week, usually starts at the top back corner. I've found it loose against my leg a couple of times.

CX's do seem to like shedding parts!

I think your bike is over qualified for being "ridden aggressively" in this case... LOL

·
Registered
785 Posts
Cramer,

Lot's of side covers are flying off in Florida at around 80+ mph the cure is new grommets - mainly the big one. In my case I was able to retrieve my side covers just a bit more beat-up. There is a honda dealer I think on HWY 27 where one of the shop mechanics has a cafed out Gl500 if you ever get out that way take a look.

Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cramer,

Lot's of side covers are flying off in Florida at around 80+ mph the cure is new grommets - mainly the big one. In my case I was able to retrieve my side covers just a bit more beat-up. There is a honda dealer I think on HWY 27 where one of the shop mechanics has a cafed out Gl500 if you ever get out that way take a look.

Mike in Tampa

Mike in Tampa

You mean the one on 17/92? Yeah, I go there a lot, if not to buy anything, it's to bug everyone that works there lol. I'm great friends with Bobby, the guy who owns the GL cafe racer. I even made a thread about it a few weeks ago

He told me that he doesn't have any since they don't cross over to the GL, and they're hard to find anyhow. Went to my (and his) salvage yard of choice, and they charge 50 dollars a side cover, regardless of what it's off of. They're great people, but they have to pay the bills somehow.

So I just caved and ordered one off of ebay. Next time I'll look for my sidecover, I thought that it'd be easier to find than this!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.