Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,717 Posts
Don't overthink it. Tens of thousands of owners have used one or the other.

If concerned about engine damage from too tight gaps use the larger setting.

I use the smaller ones.

it aint rocket science.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
Just had a look at the owners' manual. My conclusion, especially given that in the chain adjustment section it makes no distinction between TDC compression and TDC exhaust, is that it was written by a less competent technical writer.
The superior FSM should take precedence. Ignore the owners' manual.

Reactions: LaGrasta

·
Registered
400 Posts
I always used the larger anyway,

The tappets 'potentially' being any louder is not the most identifiable sound this bike makes... There are many many noises. Sometimes on a long long ride and I get tired I hear my bike sound 'oooowaaahh, kar kar!'.

Reactions: LaGrasta

·
Registered
24,569 Posts
crazy thing is in the twisted twin the valve clearance grows when the motor warms
unlike most bikes that shrink the gap as they heat
and since the timing (ignition) is crank driven it make about no difference at all to power or valve duration

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Owner's Manual says valve clearances should be .08mm/.10mm intake/exhaust.

The FSM says valve clearances should be .10mm/.12mm intake/exhaust.

...Which one is right? Which one destroys engines?

I'm new. I've never done this. I was just getting started. And of course I'm dead in the water looking at 2 sets of conflicting data. I'm searching this group for insight.

Owner's Manual:

View attachment 213643

FSM:

View attachment 213644
We’ll I’ve seen this before on other manuals and I would go inlet 9mm and ex 11mm and how accurate are all the amateur mechanics at these jobs?…check cold and hot and depending on mileage do it regularly OK?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
We’ll I’ve seen this before on other manuals and I would go inlet 9mm and ex 11mm and how accurate are all the amateur mechanics at these jobs?…check cold and hot and depending on mileage do it regularly OK?
9mm is pretty wide...i know Murray said things expand but .......😉

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,077 Posts
…check cold and hot and depending on mileage do it regularly OK?
Just set them cold to the spec in the FSM and be done. Why over complicate this?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts