Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen these valves covers on a few bikes but all of them were custom cafe builds. I know I'm new to the scene but every CX/GL motor I've seen were of the rounded standard style covers that everyone else is rock'n. I really like them and can't seem to find any info on them or what they came off of. I'd also love ve any info on the bike itself and who built it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm not sure where you can get them, but if you find someplace let me know because I dig em! There's another thread about them over here

·
Registered
529 Posts
I'm not sure where you can get them, but if you find someplace let me know because I dig em! There's another thread about them over here
+1

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
A rare aftermarket part.

Unicorn poop.
Even rarer than rocking horse poop.
Might see a pair on eBay every four or five years when someone strips a bike and doesn't know what they are.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
and the few times I've seen them pop up they were ridiculously expensive

·
Administrator
1,556 Posts
Yeah, I had a pair and first off, the letters weren't complete. The centers of the "O", "A", and "D" in HONDA weren't cut out. Second, the castings were porous!! They leaked oil THROUGH THE ALUMINUM. Also, the paint wasn't chemical resistant at all. Pour a little gas on it by accident and the paint didn't bubble, didn't soften... it just came off. Immediately. Like it was painted with dry erase markers. Anyhow, I think I might have thrown them away, but there's a chance I still have them somewhere. I suppose you could POR-15 the inside, have the insides of the letters machined out, and paint them with VHT engine enamel and they'd look okay.

Charles.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In germany these parts were sold in the 80s by some "big" accessories stores ... also very rare to get them in germany - and by the way poor quality

14474863cb.jpg p1050911.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Ugly in my view. Also, the blocked "fins" allow more crud and junk to accumulate rather than run out the slots.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ugly in my view. Also, the blocked "fins" allow more crud and junk to accumulate rather than run out the slots.
They definitely look better from a few feet away than close up.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for clearing that up! Wow, they are definitely a ten footer... I still love the look and style and would love a set. I would have to seriously rework them to get them a little more presentable. Good info none the less and I guess I'll have to start looking on yet ANOTHER eBay for the off the wall stuff I seem to be always attracted to.

In germany these parts were sold in the 80s by some "big" accessories stores ... also very rare to get them in germany - and by the way poor quality

View attachment 96433 View attachment 96441

·
Registered
584 Posts
If I had a set of the joker ones I'd file and polish out their name. I did this with my tarrozi fork brace too.

I hate bling designer names on things. I just do.
They were super expensive and that's exactly why I never considered them. I'm not a billboard. I hate the names being all big on a small item. I'll throw Honda on my bike, but it's a Honda.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The Gl650 painted and polished look good .

Honda quality.

·
Registered
76 Posts
GL650, CX650 Custom/Euro/Turbo, CX500 Euro/Turbo :)
got them on mine too, looks great.

The flat covers were sold by louis or Hein Gericke i think.
A friend of mine has a pair, but they are ugly as ****:rolleyes:

wouldnt spend time on searching for a pair...

Daniel

1 - 20 of 46 Posts