Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone refresh my memory on what year Suzuki SV650 rear mono-shock will fit on a GL500, my air-spring don't like to hold air so I want to do the conversion to a conventional spring.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Ohm

I believe its pre 2006. In any case, relevant models had a simple monoshock ( which is the item you want) and later models had a shock with remote reservoir ( which presents more problems to fit) so go for the earlier shock. The shock you want is 7 way adjustable and has 125mm (4.9in) of travel and no remote reservoir

·
Registered
313 Posts
Someone refresh my memory on what year Suzuki SV650 rear mono-shock will fit on a GL500, my air-spring don't like to hold air so I want to do the conversion to a conventional spring.

Locally, I believe wootersen, had done the conversion. (maybe motormatt) He said that it was too soft and bottomed out. He is planning on buying a different style spring shock, but can't remember which bike it'd be from. I think he put the old shock back in, so he might still have his sv650 shock readily available.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've got an '02 SV650, which is the last year of the first run of that bike ('99-'02). Not sure if they went to the remote resevoir in '03 or not, but it seems logical that's when they'd do it.

I've got a Hagon monoshock in my GL650, but the bike isn't complete yet, so I can't really say how it'll work... It was by far the least expensive that I could find at $400.

Based on how much heavier the old bikes are, I would think that the SV shock could be too soft.

·
Registered
439 Posts
based on doing the same thing with the vf750f shock - you need to go to much heavier spring, and ideally

adjustment of the damping to match the higher spring rate.

As an idea - the ratio on the vf is similar at 2.8 at full extension dropping to 1.8 at max compression -

the bike weighs about 240kg.

If we allow for an 80kg rider, lets say 320kg all up -

with a 53% rear load, 47% front thats about 170kg on the rear (373lbs)

if we look for a static sag of say 30mm or 1.2inches - from 373 lbs - that equates to 373 / 1.2 or 310 lb/in at the rear.

at the spring - this would be about 800lbs / inch at the spring.

ideally if we drop the static sag to 20mm or 3/4 inch - this rises to 1200 lb / inch.

The SV650 standard spring is probably around the 600 lb /inch mark - or about 1/2 of whats probably required.

just very rough figures - but hopefully you get the idea -

depending on sources 1000lb/in is readily available - above that, try daughtery motorsports in the us - as hes the guru

for the VFs and does conversions for numerous other bikes as well.

Regards

Rayman

·
Registered
851 Posts
Indeed the SV spring is softer than required for the heavier GL, it's really not that difficult to change springs I've done it on other monoshock units.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
329 Posts
Indeed the SV spring is softer than required for the heavier GL, it's really not that difficult to change springs I've done it on other monoshock units.

Cheers, 50gary

Gary,

How does it disassemble ? I'm looking at the SV shock right now and can't figure out how to remove the ends.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Locally, I believe wootersen, had done the conversion. (maybe motormatt) He said that it was too soft and bottomed out. He is planning on buying a different style spring shock, but can't remember which bike it'd be from. I think he put the old shock back in, so he might still have his sv650 shock readily available.

Yep, t'was me. I tried it. The bottom line is that a GL500 in it's stock form is over 500 lbs. The SV650 is a 350 lb bike. Combine that, with my cheeseburger eating, beer gut and it didn't work for me.

IF I could figure out a way to change the spring it would be great and probably will work well, however, I'm looking at it as we speak and can't figure it out.

I did quite a bit of research online and found that the SV guys pretty much upgrade their shocks immediately after buying the bike. The general consensus is, that the shock is a turd on an otherwise great value in a sportbike. Most of those guys upgrade to zxr shocks or hayabusa shocks.

I actually purchased a Hayabusa shock of the bay for about 30 bucks. The shock is a little long and looks like it would work out well, except for the reservior hanging off the top clamp. I still think it might work, but I'm going to have to kill the coolant overflow tank and use some sort of remote overflow. That being said, the hayabusa shock can wait until riding season is over. I'm enjoying the bike too much right now to start any major modifications.

Like you, I despise my 30 year old, POS air monoshock and can't wait to find a more modern solution.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On the Busa shock, is the piggy back reservoir hard mounted or does it have a soft line to the shock, if it is soft lined it would make it a lot easier to fit to the bike.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never mind, I just looked it up, it is in kinda a crappy configuration. There was talk of another mono-shock that would fit with some adjusting, does anyone remember what that was? Also I wonder if any of the other GSXR shocks would fit.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks for the numbers Rayman.

There is one aspect no-one has yet mentioned but it is important.The unsprung weight of the shaft-drive CX is way more than the chain-drive SV. So while your static forces may work out, the performance will still be poor unless the damper unit can handle all that metal jumping up & down. This is a major problem & as standard the SV unit can barely cope.

As an example, using a worn-out Showa with poor bushes caused running wide when cornering on anything other than a smooth surface. New Hagon unit cured this immediately & the thing can handle rippled surfaces with a 'supple' ride.This is mostly good damping keeping the wheel under control. The spring is actually too powerful for just little 'ol me & gives me a boot up the backside when going over road repairs. Rides well two-up though. Spring rate is not the whole story.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Raising this thread from dormancy:

So I'm guessing my 91 CBR F2 monoshock would present the same problems as the SV650 on my CX500. Sounds as though the unsprung weight will be the culprit, as I believe my bike weighs in at 350 stock.

Any more word on monoshocks from people that have worked them? I'm interested, but not sold on the idea.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Hagon. $400.00.

That being said, some SV riders use Gixxer shocks as an upgrade, but I do not know which ones they use. You may want to look into an SV650 forum to get the answer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts