Honda CX 500 Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts
Linkage-less monoshock kits are going to be terribly disappointing no matter what you do. If you want a monoshock, grafting a GL500 swingarm on is the right way to do it. Anything less is going to have shit handling.

Charles.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks Charles, appreciate that. I'd have kept twin shock if I could, but the sub was rotten. Managed to salvage the main spine and got a replacement swing (which was also like a colander).

Hmmm, what's the damage on sticking a gl500 swing in, if I can even find one?

What's the real difference? I ask only so I can talk to the welder/fabricator/magician....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Not the end of the world either way, it's fun not mileage. Although i can get a gl swing for under a hundred quid on eBay, so I'll have to consider that if it's worth the effort

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts
You’ll have to graft on both of the cx pivots onto the gl swingarm, and combine the gl and cx driveshafts. Then weld on top
And bottom mounts, put on a cbr900rr shock with a haysbusa spring. You gain about 2” of wheelbase with the gl swingarm.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Honestly no, you are just being a typical internet troll. This is my 3rd build. My first was a 1975 CB500T. Very fun. Scary cuz I had never done anything like it. My background is just modern sportbike racing (club level). So I am familiar with wrenching (and crashing) but new to these cool old bikes. My second build which I just sold to a guy in Boise Idaho was a 1978 CB750. Not as much fun. Had many problems from previous owner(s). This bike (CX500) I picked up so cheap I feel braver to take beyond just make her run again and look pretty. I already read all the write ups I could find in this forum. This isn't a super huge task. But what I was hoping for was a reply from someone familiar with this mod. I was hoping to hear something like "yea man for the weight of these bikes and the limited amount of travel and space allowed, most guys have been using xxx rear shock from a xxx bike". Every other forum I have been on I got really great feed back from super cool people. Even made a good online friend from the CB750 forum. But your reply was unexpected. I wasn't prepared for a cheap snarky comment like that. At least guelli02 tried to give a helpful response and I would surmise that english isn't even his first language. So yea, if you aren't going to be helpful please leave me alone. Thanks.
100%

·
Registered
146 Posts
You’ll have to graft on both of the cx pivots onto the gl swingarm, and combine the gl and cx driveshafts. Then weld on top
And bottom mounts, put on a cbr900rr shock with a haysbusa spring. You gain about 2” of wheelbase with the gl swingarm.
Wow. Thanks Charles. Best see what the fabricator reckons then!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I finally decided to just pay the red coats and not throw my bike in the harbor. So she has a new title in the mail, a new license plate, and liability insurance. So I put a few miles on her. The handling is surprisingly really good, for her age and all the mods I made. I would have to give all the credit to the suspension shop. One issue I have noticed is there is a weird hesitation when starting (from a complete stop) and almost a sling shot kind of jerky feel. It reminds me of a slipping clutch, but there isn't an issue in any other gear. I ran her hard through some twisty roads going up hill one afternoon. She stayed strong, no slipping in any other gear, shifts really smooth, and the engine performed real well (for a 39 year old 500cc). I do not have the problem if I start in 2nd gear. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks guys!

81 - 87 of 87 Posts