Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I'm not so easily offended. When discussing bikes, the sky is the limit on opinions. Otherwise, where is the fun in trying to agree with everybody else? Our forum subject matter is going to generate wider opinions than just about any other topic, except maybe why the Vikings can't seem to win a Superbowl.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Charles my project is too far along to go that drastic. other than painting the tank Its pretty much done. If I were to go though it again I would have searched longer and found a GL I think. That combined with Murrays pipe extenders I could have easily shaved 2k off the build. I read a lot about the issues prior to the build which is I chose to go with the BBCR kit. I thought a lot of the issues would have been sorted in the kit and although the quality of the parts were good but the rear shock is slightly disappointing. I hope I didn't offend anyone about the money comment. I paid $500 for my bike in great condition. I put together a detailed budget of $4000 prior to starting and currently stand at $3800 but still need to paint the tank so... To some that may seem like a lot given the initial price but I have taken that bike completely apart, upgraded every component an now have a rather new 40 year old unique ride that gets way more eyeball than my substantially more expensive other bikes. For me this was one of the cheapest builds for how modified it is that I've done to date. I'm hoping someone will eventually will be able to recommend an after market shock company that they used and share the specs they went with.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Probably gonna getvhated on for my design since it doesn't have a linkage but it seems to work good and I'm happy with it. Mines a early 2000 r1 rear shock. I had all the hardware to make it with a link but I decided against it. I race mx quads and have use both long travel linked swing arms and doesn't mount. Linked was better but not by anything crazy as long as it has a decent angle. Not to much not to little. Thanks new to building bikes so no hate please just trying to help

Attachments

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts
Oh Murray, I see your point on the EX650 or Versys shock btw. Was thinking the Virago is already the right weight, and will have the correct spring rate. Maybe the Versys would work just fine, but the EX is likely under-sprung, I'd think.

Charles.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I can let you guys know about the EX650 shock soon on this conversion. I just snagged one for my build. Actually off of a 06-08 650R. I'm no suspension wizard, but will report back how she does when I get it all together. I've got a lot left to do on my build, but I'm mostly just waiting on parts to come in. Hoping to have it all together in about 3 weeks to a month.

·
Registered
331 Posts
DevilDog I have the same set up with the ex shock. Although the tire looks miles away from the tail lights mine came in contact with the tail lights twice, once while doing a wheelie and the other time hitting a pot hole. It was only after someone took a photo of me on the bike did I realize how much it sagged. keep in mind I'm 230 with gear. Added a 930lb barrons spring and it has helped tremendously. only got a 100 miles on this setup but I'll be adding another 1000 this month. IMG_3479.JPG

·
Registered
24,223 Posts
no that is pretty close for your weight

track sag 25mm

street sag around 30mm

so you are at 38 mm it should be riding very well

you should be able to get the front wheel off the ground at will without the bike mushing out

so you may be able to dial it in a bit with preload but its very close to perfect not a bad guess

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
I have only had a few quick laps around the neighborhood. Turns out the DMV wants $210 to title and register. I told the lady that is crazy cuz I only paid $150 for the bike. She looks down at my paperwork and says It says here you paid $175. I just gave her Forrest Witaker eye and stomped out like an angry 2 year old little girl.

Once I get her all legal like I will take her out for a proper spin and report back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Hi all,

Interested to know views- I've a mono kit from lmc motors. Yet to mount it (or buy a shock), I'll probably get that done by a local fabricator. As dirty Harry said, a man's got to know his limitations...

I'm five eight, about 160lbs (I hope, been a while since I've been near the scales) and the bike won't be a long mileage beast or even daily rider, more a sunny weekend toy. The longest run will maybe be 90 minutes, 29 miles to work.

So. Do I crack on with a direct link mount (maybe with a replacement spring to balance out), or would it be better to get something fabricated up to level the shock horizontally, with a reinforced swingarm? If so, does anyone have any plans for a shock mount I can pinch as a start point?

Cheers,
Louis

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

61 - 80 of 87 Posts