Honda CX 500 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts
If you want monoshock, the best way would be to use a Yamaha XV920 shock, and weld up a bracket similar to the XV920's swingarm onto the CX500's swingarm. My next CX monoshock bike will be done that way.

Charles.

·
Registered
24,223 Posts
charles why would you choose shock technology the same age as tye bike you are building?

there is so much better stuff to swap in even a kawasaki ex650 has a similar install

its not known as a great shock but its at least from 2000 up

if you want the same set up style in a cruising version the kawasaki versys 650 or 1000 shock would be my choice

and you can get all sorts of springs ect

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts
I would choose that shock because it's already set up correctly for the swingarm leverage. Probably test it out and then find a new aftermarket shock to go with for keeps.

Charles.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Soooo.... what I'm getting from this thread is its better for me to just stick to dual shocks.
YES (emphatically not yelling), its no good to

overstep your skill level .

the result is disappointing at

least,,,,dangerous is almost

a certainty.(nobody wants to

fess up to this)

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Which points out why CX cafes are more popular (prettier) than GL cafes due to the typical habit of CX cafes to cut the entire ass off said:
I'm sure you did,and point well stated.

Silliness(translated to

politically correct parlance) runs rampant

in the "custom motorcycle"

builds always has,,always will.

Duuuuuuh.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Which points out why CX cafes are more popular (prettier) than GL cafes due to the typical habit of CX cafes to cut the entire ass off said:
How else am I gonna sell my 800 bike for 5000 on Craigslist hahaha

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Hey Charles PM me

If you want to toss some

ideas around.

I'm lookin for someone with

"Skill" to discuss the issue...

intelligently.

2 or 3 are better than 1.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
P.T said lots of things.

"To the Egress" is my Fave.

"There's a Sucker Born Every Minute.

Money is in some respects life's fire:

it is a very excellent servant,

but a terrible master.

prolly the sucker

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm curious about those KTM Duke mono shocks. the initial thought is that they are too "soft" since they have a (much?) larger rate of motion (spacing on the correct term there)? that would be the main concern with that particular shock? they seem like they would be sitting at a similar angle and mount position as to what i would ideally shoot for in a mono conversion and i haven't really found another modern bike with a similar swing arm with no linkage.

·
Registered
24,223 Posts
Thumper the guy that owns that bike had it built for him in exactly how he wanted it down to tge last minutiae It probably took him months to dream it out You dont build a cx for that kind of coin on spec they are built by contract for a specific owner I built one for a client over seas who even spec ed the valve Stems type So your comment about a sucker born every minute is very judgemental A 18 k dream achieved is very reasonable today I have done bike engines that cost more Go price a custom harleyOr a race ready busa,ect ect

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Thumper the guy that owns that bike had it built for him in exactly how he wanted it down to tge last minutiae It probably took him months to dream it out You dont build a cx for that kind of coin on spec they are built by contract for a specific owner I built one for a client over seas who even spec ed the valve Stems type So your comment about a sucker born every minute is very judgemental A 18 k dream achieved is very reasonable today I have done bike engines that cost more Go price a custom harleyOr a race ready busa,ect ect
Must be nice to have that kind of money to throw around.

·
Registered
331 Posts
How did I miss this thread!?! So my bike is recently completed and is basically everything you guys are discussing. My bike has the BBCR mono shock conversion with the EX shock. while building it I had a lot of concerns over the rear shock and found little about peoples results after the build so I'll toss in my two cents. I'm happy with the overall bike. regardless if its your cup of tea or not I'd do it again. Between the lightening of the bike and added performance its a drastically different bike than when it was stock. That being said I am disappointed with the rear shock for reasons everyone mentioned. its soft, too soft. This bike used to do decent wheelies and now even with all the performance gains the ass sinks when I nail the throttle. I put 1000 miles on the bike in stock form and have about 250 on it in the last week with the conversion. For me ultimately I believe I will end up having a shock built for my needs. I have tried 5 different shocks so far and they all create different issues. If your dream is to have a perfect suspension with infinite adjustment with spending no more than $30 on ebay for it I believe u will be disappointed. A lot of the conversions that I have seen where people are very happy with the results either have a pricey custom shocks or heavy invested in building proper suspension geometry to allow their shock to work as designed. Often I see people bock at spending x on parts when they only paid Y for the bike. Its all relative. Cx's are great bikes. Yes if u search u can score one cheap, but if you want to turn it into a heavily modified monster it takes more than pennies to get it there. I look forward to hearing more.

Before and after.JPG

·
Administrator
1,569 Posts
Kevin, what I would do in your case is convert a gl500 swingarm and driveshaft, and then snag a gsxr1000 shock. The 1000 shock has the correct eyelet, and is pretty well matched. Put a hayabusa spring on it if you're a heavy guy and want more stiffness.

Note this is not a conversion for the weak. You'll need to sacrifice a cx swingarm to get the proper pivot point, and there is a lot of cutting and welding involved. You'll also need to fabricate a drive shaft with the front part of a cx shaft and the rear part of a go shaft. Ultimately though, using a pro link swingarm with a modern shock will give you absolutely amazing handling.

I'm not at home this weekend, but once I get back I'll post some pictures of the swingarm mods I did for my bike. It handles like it's on rails.

Charles.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
In closing to me being retired $1000

is a lot of scratch.

To some people $100,000 is chickenfeed .

Anyone that places a high value on a custom

can invevest/spend however much they want.

In defence of Thumper I really don't believe

there was Intent to offend .

·
Registered
24,223 Posts
i did not say offensive i gently used judgemental

in thumpers defense its more a snap reaction

but tis forum is a isolated community formed to keep the cx running and shall we say on a very frugal basis

and the cx custom world is long past that just look at some of the bikes built

and the motorcycle world has long passed huge dollar customs

there is a waiting list at Arch cycle (keannu reeves and others) for bikes that start at 80k

mtt turbine is sold out till 2018 and theres start at 175k and who wants a stock one?

and so on

the value of a cx even changes across the world

it is not uncommon for a cx to have a value of well over 5k in austrailia and easily up to 10

and they will spend more on them and other bikes as they are collectors items and increase in value

here a cx used to be the low of low and now as a custom often exceeds 10k

the value of stock ones only seems to be rising as fodder for customization with a few exceptions in the edges

so sit back and watch its going to get interesting

but believe it or not a 18k cx500 is still in the lower end of the scale

41 - 60 of 87 Posts