Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Unfortunately, you mostly get what you pay for on bench grinders. I bought a new 1/3 hp Craftsman in about 1976 that has twice the power of a 1/2 hp cheapie one I got about 10 years ago. So, don't just depend on advertised horsepower, they use different methods to get a higher hp rating.

I picked a older one up for my son off CL a year or so ago for $25.00. It too was a Craftsman and probably 25 years old. Not a bad unit, he uses it all the time. My recommendation would be to check CL, garage sales and E-bay for older bargains. All of mine are 3450 RPM, 6" wheels, but I have taken the guards off the one I use for a buffer and mounted a 8" spiral sown wheel on it. I haven't had any burning problems with 3450 RPM, but I am not an expert on buffing either.

The true buffing units usually have elongated ends and shafts to allow you to hold the item at different angles for better buffing. On the bike parts I have done, I didn't find it necessary to have more room than a regular bench grinder with the guards off provided.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.