Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I have a 1981 Custom and I have the carbs on the table with Larry's book beside it. All is going well, with the exception that I managed to damage one of my Main Emulsion Jets and will need to use and extractor to remove and replace it. Where can I get one? I have looked at Sirius and TAS, but their kits don't seem include the emulsifier I need. My local Honda dealer is open Tues, but I don't have high hopes for their resources. Hmmmm......Nil

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nil,

Hope the lack of replies hasn't bummed you out. I've been googling/yahooing when I have the chance and have found nothing available new. No part number... not even a really detailed drawing either. The most promising source may be a donor carb. I will keep looking. Others possibly are too.

It might be that some other carbs used the same emulsion jet....??? (hopeful speculation)

Hoppy

·
Registered
25 Posts
id send ya it in the mail free if a used part is ok witrh you i have several sets of carbs both as parts and complete so i got any part you might need i could plop it in the snail mail and have it to you in a few days if you like let me know...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Rooster, Biker jr, Hoppy. Wow! Thanks for the support! For a minute i thought I had asked the ' question that shall never be asked' . Ha. Well, in the interim, I bought a used carb set on eBay for $60 that I'll part out. Kind of overkill in retrospect. Your posts made my day.

·
Super Moderator
2,851 Posts
Nil, you should have PMed me. I missed this post a few days ago. I had access issues due to internet. Sorry.

Go to the back of my book, page 40. It shows the safest method of removing that tube. I have tried the easy out on them and they usually ended up breaking because it just tightens up the threads in the body. If that happens it really hard to fix.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Folks: I've been fighting internet issues and I've sorta dropped out of the loop. Anyhow, the used carb is being FedEx'd and the bad emulsion tube is removed without undo harm. The irony is that the the emulsion tube looked super, except for where I damaged it with my screwdriver...and then damaged again with my #1 easy out. Good grief. Nil

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Nil- most of these emulsion tubes can be salvaged and reused,- I have recycled quite a few with this technique. ( In the "old" forum I posted pictorals of the process, which works quite well.)

Remove the easy out screw extractor. Using a cut off wheel on a Dremel , lightly grind the top of the area of damage where your screw extractor was. Now use the edge of the cut off wheel to center and create a fresh, new screw driver slot in the emulsion tube. Use various grits of sandpaper and extra fine steel wool to smooth and finish. Next, ( using the techniques in Larrys carb book, carefully size , grind, and customize a dedicated , high quality, screwdriver (carefully, customized, and snug to your refreshed screwdriver slot)

This technique has enabled me to remove, AND reuse all of the prexisting emulsion tubes.

I can tell you from good experiece, using all classic ( chemical-carb cleaners, etc.,) and new techniques as well ( ultrasonics),-- these emulsion tubes do not come clean with either or both of these techniques,- unless removed to do so.

Good luck Sam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.