Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i can't figure out where the 2 red wires (white stripe) with brass fittings and the yellow wire are supposed to go... the wiring diagram in the back of my book isn't very helpful because the colors are all wrong. the yellow one may be an aftermarket accessory... it's fused and spliced about 4 times along its length. any help would be huge... i'm getting ready to fire it up but have no idea where these go. there is no power going to my spark coils either... so i'm thinking it may go there. if anyone has a picture of how this SHOULD look, please help!! thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
looks like you are missing the fuse that goes between the connectors.

·
Registered
197 Posts
is that yellow wire connected to the starter solenoid? Should be 2 thick cables coming from it, one to the battery and the other to the starter.

·
Registered
197 Posts
coil wires come from CDI unit. What year and model is your bike again? Try and stick that in your signature if you can as well.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
You guessed right

the brass connectors on the two red wires need a main fuse between them

Power in from the RR on the red/white

power out to the Igniton switch on the red

That yellow wire is non standard and was probably added

for an accessory of some sort.

I have an extra wire on mine but for different reasons.

as for sparks, knowing what bike you have (CDI or TI) would help

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Probably a CDI bike,,I think, the TI bikes had the metal fuses, CDI had the glass.

and the power to the ignition comes from the engine/CDI not the battery.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
coil wires come from CDI unit. What year and model is your bike again? Try and stick that in your signature if you can as well.

it's a 78. there are no wires coming from anywhere that even come close to reaching the coils. and definitely thanks for the diagram! mine is black and white and next to impossible to read because it's so small!

·
Registered
197 Posts
your coils should have a pink wire on one and a yellow on the other. Your CDI unit has these same wires. There is usually a butt connector that connects the two about half way between I think.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
your coils should have a pink wire on one and a yellow on the other. Your CDI unit has these same wires. There is usually a butt connector that connects the two about half way between I think.

yeah i actually got everything traced. thanks for the help. the whole bike looks like it was raped by a set of wire cutters. have to get some new wire and connectors for it.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
yeah i actually got everything traced. thanks for the help. the whole bike looks like it was raped by a set of wire cutters. have to get some new wire and connectors for it.

Sometime previous owners have been known to swap the coils from one side to the other and if you just plug yellow into yellow and pink into pink it will not fire at the correct time,,make sure the yellow wire coming from the CDI goes to the coil on the left side of the bike(left as you sit on the bike) and the pink wire goes to the right side coil.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sometime previous owners have been known to swap the coils from one side to the other and if you just plug yellow into yellow and pink into pink it will not fire at the correct time,,make sure the yellow wire coming from the CDI goes to the coil on the left side of the bike(left as you sit on the bike) and the pink wire goes to the right side coil.

oh good to know. i actually had them opposite i believe. i'll wire it all tomorrow and see if i can get it to kick over. thanks everyone for the help... and definitely big ups on the color diagram... that definitely made the difference.

·
Registered
197 Posts
oh good to know. i actually had them opposite i believe. i'll wire it all tomorrow and see if i can get it to kick over. thanks everyone for the help... and definitely big ups on the color diagram... that definitely made the difference.
no problem. that's what this forum is here for. I know that diagram (and the forum)saved my butt more than once.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.