Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Where do you source your o-rings from ?
That is basically my question, I guess the thickness and the quality of the rubber are important for such little things
I am doing a full rebuild, originally I intended to get the head gaskets as well as front and rear main gaskets OEM and to go aftermarket for the rest but now I feel unsure about getting the aftermarket o-rings and valve stem seals from those kits they sell on ebay.
Am I wrong to think so ?
Do you know any store or online seller from which I could get them ?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Does anyone know the size of the o-ring that goes on the air mixture screw?

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,736 Posts
I buy most of my o-rings on eBay Note that Honda specifies the ID and the wire diameter and the conventional system that everyone else uses specifies the OD and the wire diameter.

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Reactions: rscottp

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I mean it cost about 70$ if I want every single o-ring OEM but a complete aftermarket gasket kit will contain all of them and costs about the same price
I conclude then that either the aftermarket ones are made with ultra cheap material and are not even worth a glance at them or that the OEM ones are overpriced but nonetheless offer the manufacturer quality
Which statement is right ?
What is the difference between aftermarket and OEM here?

Thank you

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Many o-rings can be bought from a local bearing and seal supplier. Others have sourced o-rings from o-ring cits from Harbor Freight or similar.

·
Super Moderator
17,736 Posts
A lot of the o-ring sizes Honda used on these bikes seem to be odd sizes but when you convert them into inches they make sense (at least as much as arcane things like 32nds of inches can make sense). But remember that they are made of rubber so if a ring is a few tenths of a mm different it will work.

The high prices of o-rings bought through Honda dealers is explained by the economics of scale: The motorcycle parts market is a small fraction of the size of car parts market but the overhead costs for warehousing & distributing all those bike parts doesn't cost much less than the cost for car parts. Since those costs have to be divided among the number of items sold bike parts cost more than car parts, even if they have the same Honda part numbers.

That goes for all parts and it isn't new. When I got my first water cooled bike ('77 GL1000) in '91 I was shocked to find out that the dealer wanted approx. $25 each for the thermostat, rad cap and ignition capacitor assembly (basically 2 ordinary condensers in a bracket). I have had liquid cooled Hondas continuously since then and I've never bought any of those parts as bike parts.

·
Registered
24,492 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
i source my o-rings from amazon. As long as I know the right material to use, usually viton or silicone, and the size I just buy the big kits with an assortment of sizes.

·
Super Moderator
17,736 Posts
I've seen original Honda o-rings that failed long before 40 years. The one on my GL500's camchain tensioner bolt was only half that age when it failed and it wasn't the first known case of that happening...

FWIW, I started out buying them from a Honda dealer but eventually bought an assortment. When that started running out in the most common sizes I started ordering them in bulk on eBay.

Re silicone 0-rings: They are great in places where you put the ring into a groove in a part and that goes against a flat surface (like the water pipe elbows, water pump cover or intake manifolds) but if you think its hard to get a rubber ring to stay in place on the water pipe while you push it into the water pump housing.... Well, lets just say I got lucky and the silicone rings I bought for the water pipe fit the water pipe elbows.

·
Super Moderator
5,337 Posts
Bob wrote in part " ...its hard to get a rubber ring to stay in place on the water pipe while you push it into the water pump housing...." Have you tried putting the o-ring inside the water pump housing, butted up against the first step of the opening, then insert the water pipe. That method works a treat. Thanks to Murray from an old post.

·
Super Moderator
17,736 Posts
I don't think I have. With rubber rings I found that if I put the ring onto the pipe and apply a bit of silicone grease inside the hole the pipe & ring just pop into place with no drama but the silicone ring was too soft & flexible to stay in place for that. I'll have to try to remember to try putting a silicone ring into the hole and see if I can get that to work for me the next time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts