Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,

I have a CX500C that my Dad bought in 1981 and 28 years later I became the proud owner. With the pressures of kids, work and home renovation the bike came to sit for the last 18 or so months in my garage. I would like to get her up and running as a project for my son and I to undertake. I have sourced the manual and other reference material. The question I have is were do I start? As the bike is not registered, I thought I would just get her up and running to get her registered and then modify from there.

The plan so far is to go over the bike and give it a service, new battery, fluids all round, air in tyres and see if she will fire. Although all the shiny parts have dulled on the old darling, she has only 31K on the clock so is in reasonable shape.Is there anything that I should be looking out for that may bring me undone due to the bike sitting idle for so long. This is the kind of thing that only the experience of others who have been down the same track would be able to point out. I take a bit of comfort fron the fact that many have done this before me on rides that may have been a lot worse than mine.

Any help from you guys would be appreciated. Before I kick off I want to start with a game plan!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies ad the links. The plan for my ride was to just get it roadworthy and iron out some of the bugs and get it registered. I have had thoughts of doing a WM type build but I am thinking of trying to find a bigger bike for this I.e air-cooled BMW.

I will go and update my profile as suggested. Thanks again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
The game plan depends on what the end purpose of the machine will be. Occasional 'round town riding? Daily driver? Spiffy and clean? Touring? Total restore? My 80C is getting set up for 'round town riding and short 50-mile tours, I won't be doing a lot of polishing, although she will be clean. Obviously safety first, brakes, tires, cables, lamps, bearings, forks, etc. The first thing I did on the '80C was to clean and reset all the electrical connections. 30-years can bring about all kinds of visible and invisible corrosion. The cleaning resolved all the goofy electrical problems. My '79 Rescue is going to be completely torn down and built back up to whatever crazy ideas I get when the time comes.

Hey, take a minute and complete your profile. Add your location and add the bike year, and model to your signature line. You never know, someone here might be your neighbor. Welcome to the forum, this IS the place to be. And most of all, have fun with the CX project.
Hey there - how would you go about cleaning (wire brush?) and resetting your electrical connections?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.