Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys know where I can buy those airbox rubber tubes. #9 and #11 (besides e-bay)I would prefer a new set.

Also, is there any place that sells the manifold #6? Honda charges about $100 for both sides.... Yikes!!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Call Matt @ TAS, may not have them but may be able to dig them up.

Odd thing I've found, if BikeBandit shows something as available the local Honda dealer can get them as well.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have tried to order the intake pipes from the airbox to the carbs and they are no available. I am thinking of writing Randakk to see if he can source them. It's hard to find good ones even on ebay. I ended up getting three sets befor I got a set I liked well enough to use. The other pipes are easier to get on ebay though. Because the rubber is thicker and stiffer they have worn over time in a better manner. Still, inspect them carefully before you use them. One of the things I do with rubber or plastic parts is put them in a warm place and soak them with armorall. After a while the armor all does get into the rubber and soften it up a bit. This is a temproary fix at best.

A

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Trichloroethylene, very hard to find but if a crack hasn't started it brings rubber back like you wouldn't believe. Once sold as a rejuvinator for typewriter rollers. EATS any other plastic.

You can buy it here but there's bound to be in easier places, if you're in CA it's going to be a problem:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?lang=en&N4=372145|SIAL&N5=SEARCH_CONCAT_PNO|BRAND_KEY&F=SPEC

·
Registered
192 Posts
Do you guys know where I can buy those airbox rubber tubes. #9 and #11 (besides e-bay)I would prefer a new set.

Also, is there any place that sells the manifold #6? Honda charges about $100 for both sides.... Yikes!!

I may have a few sets non cracked. If I find them just pay for the shipping. Just trashed 2 air cleaner boxes as they were taking too much valuable space in the garage. Never fails. I have 2 front wheels and 2 front ends. One front end and wheel has the dual disk setup. Chrome is shot. Wheels are straight and the disks are good. Calipers probably need a cleaning.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I may have a few sets non cracked. If I find them just pay for the shipping. Just trashed 2 air cleaner boxes as they were taking too much valuable space in the garage. Never fails. I have 2 front wheels and 2 front ends. One front end and wheel has the dual disk setup. Chrome is shot. Wheels are straight and the disks are good. Calipers probably need a cleaning.

I would be very interested in those rubber boots. Please email me, when you find them. Thanks

·
Registered
192 Posts
Scudman where are you located? Can you put it in your profile. Of course I was looking for a front rim last week.
I am in soth fl. I just started a steam punk project and have the complete front end with the dual disk wheel. That front end will be in my garage in a few weeks. I gave the bike to my friend and he will be bringing it over. Do you need the lower legs and calipers for the dual disk setup? Shipping could be pricey.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I would be very interested in those rubber boots. Please email me, when you find them. Thanks
I found one but it is not in good shape. I have a few more but not 100% sure what they are like. It appeared good until it flexed and the crack was evident. I will find them and let you know.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I am in soth fl. I just started a steam punk project and have the complete front end with the dual disk wheel. That front end will be in my garage in a few weeks. I gave the bike to my friend and he will be bringing it over. Do you need the lower legs and calipers for the dual disk setup? Shipping could be pricey.

That's ok. I found a rim and did what I needed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am negotiating with a possible source of new intake boots for the CX and GL. The minimum order is the sticking point. Would any one be interested in new reporduction intake boots and how much would you be willing to pay for them?

A

·
Registered
782 Posts
Trichloroethylene, very hard to find but if a crack hasn't started it brings rubber back like you wouldn't believe. Once sold as a rejuvinator for typewriter rollers. EATS any other plastic.

You can buy it here but there's bound to be in easier places, if you're in CA it's going to be a problem:

http://www.sigmaaldrich.com/catalog/ProductDetail.do?lang=en&N4=372145|SIAL&N5=SEARCH_CONCAT_PNO|BRAND_KEY&F=SPEC

I found some stuff at a local electronics supply store that reconditions rubber rollers,idler wheels. Smells terrible but works. You might try a store like that in your area.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
If it smells absolutely terrible it's probably good. Even common VM&P petroleum Nahtha you can get at a hardware or paint store is fairly good but you've got to let it soak in for several applications.

The real stuff is hard to find, Caig and GC may still have some but due to the laws related to CFCs almost anything containing Trichlor in any form have pretty much disappeared.

My first link was valid but not the best, you really want 1,1,1-Trichloroethane which opens up the pores in the rubber to allow the other essential oils to penetrate.

Sad thing is this was also the best electrical contact cleaner out there, it would remove oxides from switch and relay contacts in short order.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am negotiating with a possible source of new intake boots for the CX and GL. The minimum order is the sticking point. Would any one be interested in new reporduction intake boots and how much would you be willing to pay for them?

A

Well, they were about $34 for the pair from Honda, when they were available. I think anything between $20-$25 would be a good price.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts