Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy everyone, Firstly thanks to those whom contributed to my original question realting to loss of power on my 81 CX500 when overtaking and going up hills. It ended up being a tiny hole in a diaphram in the carbies.Thanks to the boys at Frankston Freestyle Honda Joe and Jarrod and Michael.The boys did a great job and stuck it out without giving up hope.

My question is where can i get either a recondition coil or brand new if possible and some leads or leads that although not for thie bike work just the same. I live in Melbourne Victoria. Thanks again this site has been a great help.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Howdy everyone, Firstly thanks to those whom contributed to my original question realting to loss of power on my 81 CX500 when overtaking and going up hills. It ended up being a tiny hole in a diaphram in the carbies.Thanks to the boys at Frankston Freestyle Honda Joe and Jarrod and Michael.The boys did a great job and stuck it out without giving up hope.

My question is where can i get either a recondition coil or brand new if possible and some leads or leads that although not for thie bike work just the same. I live in Melbourne Victoria. Thanks again this site has been a great help.

A lot of the guys with the CDI are using these but I do not know if they will work with your bike. I think it has the TI and I would want to find out before buying:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...961005&viewitem=&sspagename=ADME:L:OC:US:1123

I have the CDI and just ordered a set.

Of course the heads are coming off so the shipping time is not much of an issue for me.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
There is an Aus forum who may be able to point you to a closer supplier,

http://australiancx.asn.au/forum/

CDI engine and the coils above are fine.TAI(Transistor Advanced Ignition) and those coils won't work.You need coils similar to the ones off older cars that use two LT(Low Tension) thin wires as well as the HT(High Tension) plug leads.

CDI bikes have the CDI box under the seat the TAI bikes have the,"Spark Units" near the battery(Two of them).

·
Registered
1,556 Posts

CDI engine and the coils above are fine.TAI(Transistor Advanced Ignition) and those coils won't work.You need coils similar to the ones off older cars that use two LT(Low Tension) thin wires as well as the HT(High Tension) plug leads.

CDI bikes have the CDI box under the seat the TAI bikes have the,"Spark Units" near the battery(Two of them).

Thanks for clarifying that Shep!

I was afraid that would be the case for him.

·
Registered
9 Posts
just bought my first bike 80 cx500c and was needing same part (have seen this forum alot lately)

but was wandering if the coil tony pointed out would reach the spark plug if not are people just replacing with a stock end mine are trash what would be an option there?

edit:

nm was looking at another thread just a minute ago and it said the coil wires should unscrew form my coil and the boot unscrews at the other end

also suggested getting a new wire from mower shop and replace the end (i know where one of these is rusting in a salvage yard hope it has a boot)

i have weak spark on both coils im gonna assume they are ok and its my cdi box will replace it this week before i assume coils are trash

·
Registered
195 Posts

Shep,

Would stick coils from a modern bike work with the TAI system?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Shep,

Would stick coils from a modern bike work with the TAI system?

I'm not really familiar with them.If they power Transistorized ignition they may be worth testing,but only if they are cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.