Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, looking for a replacement petcock. All kinds of fun to put 2 gallons of gas into your newly primed tank with no problems, turn the petcock on, and watch gas just start rushing EVERYWHERE. So you naturally shut the petcock off and gas CONTINUES to run everywhere. What a damned mess, but I think I manage to not damage any put a tiny bit of the primer.

That said, I drilled the 'rivets' and checked the internal gaskets - they are hard as a rock, and probably leaking. I don't even want to try to rebuild the damn thing I just want a new one, if someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction.

Non vacuum, btw.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yep, looking for a replacement petcock. All kinds of fun to put 2 gallons of gas into your newly primed tank with no problems, turn the petcock on, and watch gas just start rushing EVERYWHERE. So you naturally shut the petcock off and gas CONTINUES to run everywhere. What a damned mess, but I think I manage to not damage any put a tiny bit of the primer.

That said, I drilled the 'rivets' and checked the internal gaskets - they are hard as a rock, and probably leaking. I don't even want to try to rebuild the damn thing I just want a new one, if someone wouldn't mind pointing me in the right direction.

Non vacuum, btw.

Nevermind, just checked Service Honda and they have them listed as $37.06 brand new. I'll order one up tomorrow from Streits, since they price match (and are local to me, so no shipping!

These constant age-related problems are really starting to get on my nerves. I can't say yet if it's turning me off of old bikes altogether, but dammit, enough is enough, you know?

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I can honestly say I have had less issues with ALL my bikes combined this year, than the boy has had with his

new KTM Duke. (knocking on wood)

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
I have went through a handful of petcocks. This year I just said no and paid $25 for a bung and petcock for a harley and had Larry weld it on. Spending $15 on a petcock is easier than $40+.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't know if they ship internationally but,

http://www.toolparts...el_Filters.html

I've bought in-line filters and super quality fuel line from them.

As I think there are two threads used on the CX/GLs it's worth checking.I think the GLS are larger than the CXs.

Also,

http://www.cheapcycl.../assemblies/626

You know, I think someone needs to double check those measurements. I have 3 petcocks here - 1 off the '78 standard, 1 off an '82 Custom and 1 off an '81 Deluxe. The '78 one is smaller than the other two, and the other two are both vacuum operated.

I don't have a 16mm x 1.5 bolt, but a 16mm x 2.0 bolt certainly started in the threads of my '78 petcock, and the other two vacuum ones are clearly bigger. I can't help but wonder if the sizes are actually 16mm and 18mm

A 14mm bolt isn't big enough to engage any threads of my '78 petcock.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You know, I think someone needs to double check those measurements. I have 3 petcocks here - 1 off the '78 standard, 1 off an '82 Custom and 1 off an '81 Deluxe. The '78 one is smaller than the other two, and the other two are both vacuum operated.

I don't have a 16mm x 1.5 bolt, but a 16mm x 2.0 bolt certainly started in the threads of my '78 petcock, and the other two vacuum ones are clearly bigger. I can't help but wonder if the sizes are actually 16mm and 18mm

A 14mm bolt isn't big enough to engage any threads of my '78 petcock.

Yes I think it's time we got a table together of Actual measurements.I'll do my Stock CX tomorrow.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You know Shep, every time you show us a link to the motorcycle parts in your country I am always amazed! I had no idea universal gas tank taps (petcocks) were available! And that other stuff is just plain neat! I have to hand it to you Britons, you seem to have great cycle stuff!

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
You know Shep, every time you show us a link to the motorcycle parts in your country I am always amazed! I had no idea universal gas tank taps (petcocks) were available! And that other stuff is just plain neat! I have to hand it to you Britons, you seem to have great cycle stuff!

And it never ceases to amaze me how little variety there is on US Ebay/sites for things like this

I also just like looking around at stuff.I get my budget tyres off these guys now but love looking around at bike bits,

http://www.feked.com/

PS

They do a cheap 3 phase Regulator/Rectifier that I'm sure can be adapted(Just hack the connectors) to be used on our bikes easily.

http://www.feked.com/electrical/regs-rectifiers.html

·
Registered
372 Posts
Yes, exactly! There is so little variety on many of these sites here. I suppose it is to avoid flooding the market with too much goods. On the other hand it could be just plain sorryness!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts