Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we've established that I'm a FNG when it comes to motorcycles. My most recent issue with the gas tank and reading your responses left me wondering and thinking about it all last night. I don't have any pics of it yet, but the underside of my tank doesn't look bad. The paint is flaked in a few spots, and there's a few rust colored spots- looks like the oxidation you'd get on a chrome bumper, where some elbow grease and chrome polish takes it right off. No holes that can be seen, and yet I was able to see the saturation of the top of the tank. It was strange, like a tent with dew on it in the morning.... you can see the moisture, but nothing was leaking through until that specific point was touched.

So when do you know you have to reseal the tank? When is it an issue of sealing it, vs it being a bigger issue?

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
The issue of when to seal is usually when you can see rust inside the tank. Or when you want total tank protection and to know it was done.

Take a flashlight and shine it in your tank to see what you can see. Rust on an outer surface doesn't exactly tell anything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts