Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 3+ years, the reality is the end is coming soon. I have fallen behind on maintenance and put off on-going issues. E.g. weeping mac seal. Leaky fork seal. It's not from a lack of trying. I rebuilt the forks twice, change the mac seal a few times when dealing with 3 stator failures. The list goes on. With 32K miles it has original timing chain, clutch, brakes and CDI. I’m not happy with the though but I need to get something turnkey if I want to continue my daily year round commute on a safe, reliable and enjoyable bike. Let me tell you that I really do enjoy my CX. Tomorrow morning if its not below 50F, I will top off the coolant and head out to work. I simply don’t have the time to make it right. It the mean time, I will be looking for another ride. I’m not sure what its going to be but another CX/GL is not out of the question if I’m every lucky enough to find one in better condition. I not sure why but I wanted to share my thoughts with this group. I did not contribute to the forum much but was a daily user at times. No one understands what owning a CX is about better then this group. Thanks for all the tech help and stories and the very best to those who give them. My CX may end up for sale or put on mothballs. Only time time will tell. It will be when the wheels fall off or the right replacement comes along. Another option would be to have two bike. One to fix and the spare one to ride.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Thats odd. I don't have nearly that many problems with my CX's. I am developing a growing blow-by leak on my right Muffler on the Custom, and the Deluxe needs a new tank. But I keep up on the maintenance and spend a mid 3-digit number on each annually. And I put several thousand miles on a motorcycle in a years time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yeah I hear ya Cycle, I had that damn engine out and rear cover off too many times in too little time. I`m almost giving up on it. Now my problem is the bike wont start electrically I have to bump start it whenever I go. Keeping my eye open for a cheap old bike. And yes! 2 bikes is the way to go...well atleast one that runs at all times and the other can be worked on.

Peace

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Well it happens. Like all good things eventually there's a turd in the bunch. Might not be a real turd but something is causing problems. Needing that many mechanical seals and stators is off the wall. Good luck in your search for a turn key replacement.

Seems like a lot of bikes get this way. Maybe not by choice but mine has had me down a lot in the first few years but the more recent ones it's doing fine. So again Good Luck.

Any details on the stator failures? Three is just off the wall. Are they burned up or what goes wrong with them?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Or go for the LRCX style rebuild with all new seals silvewing stator and ignitech.

nearly 10, 000 KM of downright abuse later, Aurora is still running sweet.

(loaded down with 4 bags, and rider, running 85mph all day)

to dropping, to getting airborne, to rapid acceleration to avoid problems, to lugging up endless hills, bad gas, you name it.

Doing it over in one go saves endless headaches later IMO.

You know the bike now presumably, so there shouldn't be many more surprises. There is a lot of value in being able to know that years of decent care have been taken, and also how to diagnose it, and where to get parts.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
That's a good point. I have gotten a lot of help from Larry. If I could afford one of his bikes I would jump on it. I know he could build what I want. Only problems is shipping but I would be so happy I would ride it all 2,000 miles back and be happy.

The one guy on here who bought his sons bike is a lucky sucker.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
After 3+ years, the reality is the end is coming soon. I have fallen behind on maintenance and put off on-going issues. E.g. weeping mac seal. Leaky fork seal. It's not from a lack of trying. I rebuilt the forks twice, change the mac seal a few times when dealing with 3 stator failures. The list goes on. With 32K miles it has original timing chain, clutch, brakes and CDI. I’m not happy with the though but I need to get something turnkey if I want to continue my daily year round commute on a safe, reliable and enjoyable bike. Let me tell you that I really do enjoy my CX. Tomorrow morning if its not below 50F, I will top off the coolant and head out to work. I simply don’t have the time to make it right. It the mean time, I will be looking for another ride. I’m not sure what its going to be but another CX/GL is not out of the question if I’m every lucky enough to find one in better condition. I not sure why but I wanted to share my thoughts with this group. I did not contribute to the forum much but was a daily user at times. No one understands what owning a CX is about better then this group. Thanks for all the tech help and stories and the very best to those who give them. My CX may end up for sale or put on mothballs. Only time time will tell. It will be when the wheels fall off or the right replacement comes along. Another option would be to have two bike. One to fix and the spare one to ride.

You are absolutely not alone.... I'm loving riding my bike too much to take it out of commission. I'm actually trying to rationalize needing a second bike while mine is being "restored"...

My Car is falling apart, and I could care less...

Sounds like you have been a silent partner... Howdy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.