·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I pulled them backward to make sure

·
Registered
170 Posts
Check the coil's resistance at cold and hot temps on the primary and secondary sides

These can go open circuit when hot to create a "bogging" sensation. Typically, experienced around 5000 rpm.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have you seen the threads about pods blocking the atmospheric ports?
Yes. I was looking out for those ports when I put the pods on. I wonder if I just need to dial in the air mixture screws.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I noticed it in 3rd gear when I opened up the throttle. The bike was running really bad before and needed the choke to run. Choke is off now or In. Idles but has some pops when rev and riding

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm going to retract my suggestion.

Instead, you probably should begin diagnostics on the ignition system. Run the stator resistant checks and post results.

Then we can begin to walk through the rest of the diagnostics to examine other more complex diagnostic problems.

When you cleaned the carbs, were the ACV diaphragms in good condition?

·
Super Moderator
20,302 Posts
Needs choke - too much air and/or too little fuel.

Are you sure your jets are in the correct positions in the carbs? The 120 belongs in the brass emulsion tube, the 90 directly into the alloy carb body.

No vacuum leaks at the manifolds joints to head or carbs? No split manifold rubbers?

Try a run down the street with the filters removed. Better or worse?

Get a piece of clear 4 mm fuel line, connect it to the drain barb under the float bowl, run it up the side of the carb and open the petcock and carb drain screw. The fuel level will show in the tube and should be around 2 - 3 mm below the carb/bowl joint. low levels give weak mixtures.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, there could be multiple problems confounding the diagnostics.

At this point, I suspect ignition, but wouldn't be surprised if the carb had problems.

Heck, there could be problems on both.

Need a step by step approach. Find one solve it, check again.

·
Super Moderator
20,302 Posts
I think this.

Run through the stator test.

Service the plug caps.

Fit new sparkplugs.

Test ignition coil resistance. Input to ground - less than 1 ohm. Output to input - 7,500 ohms. Output to ground - more than 5000 ohms.

Try run without pods fitted.

Recheck carb work.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Adjusted my valves and chain But the culprit was the broken plug wire.
Runs powerful now. Still popping a lot on deceleration. Lucky I have a doner bike for parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts