Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to swap wheels for your CX500/650TC?

I was wondering the truth about the HONDA OEM is only wheels usable for CX500/650TC.

I disassembled junk CX rear wheel and uesd only hub, combined with NS400R rear wheel rim and VF1000R spokes.

I was gonna tried to use 83 Honda VF750 Sabre might fit, yet no chance to get them.

Though it is obvious I do need to modify if swapping Sabre Rear wheel into CX, due to driven gear matter.

Here in Japan, most owners keep CX in OEM condition; modifying is prohibited.

How bout here?

Da ya think I'm insane?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Konnichi Wa

If you are interested to get wheels I am sure someone on the forum could get these for you, mon de nigh!

but the price would be a little prohibative in terms of postage to Japan, as I presume all you want is the outer rim. try Ebay

·
Registered
450 Posts
At first I misread the topic as "Wheelies for CXTCs"! Oh well. Honda absolutely didn't like the idea of disassembling the Comstar wheel, much less creating a cobbled-together Frankenwheel. I wouldn't trust them under hard acceleration at a high speed. I like the looks of the stock wheels, too. Not insanity, though, just something I would not be interested in.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, InWeldingWeTrust

Sorry, but I'm not seeking an OEM wheel; that comstar wheel is, otherwise, danger.

Not that Comstar that CX uses but ones used for CB900F, I saw wheels the rivet parts have fallen off.

Can you imagine if this happened when you are 100 mph fast?

Anyway, thanks for your notice, I'll try to keep my eye on Ebay.

Hi, phogroian

I'm sure that Honda dislike the idea of disassembling Comstar wheels; it's against about product liability.

I also agree about your suspicion against the idea. However, I myself proofed, what you call the Frankenwheell,

made from the parts of CX, NS, and VF performs better than the OEM.

One thing for sure; the latest comstar wheel have advantages at least in following points:

1) adjusting balance precisely: changes of spoke bolt torque.

2) capability to repair: older comstar never allows replacing damaged part: unable to swap damaged spokes into new.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I think I remember that Dan Topping had used EuroSport wheels on a 500TC? Or was it a 650TC? Or am I just remembering incorrectly. I think he did it to raise top end speed as he could reach redline in 5th with stock wheel diameter.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just downloaded Dan's catalogue. Wonderful! Tres Bian!

Yes! These are what I have been searching for!

I joined CX-TC club Japan, yet most I got were disappointment.

When I had to repair some, they know nothing bout replacement parts.

All the time they replied " CX-TC are the special bike, thus no third suppliers

and/or no replacement parts is available; OEM are the only parts."

I strongly doubt against, and thanks everyone you gave me and ma friends light!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Working on the comstar wheels is not something the unexperienced should even think about. That said, I have been running a custom 18" rear wheel on my personal 500 for over ten years and over 30,000 miles so it is certainly viable. I also run radial tires. I use radial tires because they do not grow in diameter near as much as bias ply tires do. This is important because a 130/90-18 bias-ply tire will grow and rub the front of the swingarm at speed. I use an Avon 130/80-18 radial on the back and a 120/70-18 on the front.

Back to the comstar wheels. Eurosport rear wheel will fit on the CXT but it is only 2.5 inches wide. What I use is a CXT hub and import chain drive VR750R 18" x 3" wide rear wheels using the VR spokes and rim to mate to the CXT hub. I use high strength stainless steel self locking bolts and nuts. The 500 does not have the HP to get to redline with the larger oversize bias-ply tire. The larger tire does lower cruise engine RPM a little. The 650T has the power and will redline with the oversize tire/wheel increasing top speed about 15 mph. (calculated and observed)I have a large inventory of 500T and 650T wheels in stock. I think I have one VR750R wheel left to do a conversion if some one wanted one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi, Turbodan

You mean VFR750R known as RC30? Or Honda V45 Magna?

I get little confused...

Your recommended AVON radial tires are not available in this country; only bias or larger sizes are available.

Thus I choose Bridgestone BT45 now, though I may switch to Michelin Activ, which is not available in the States.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, Turbodan

You mean VFR750R known as RC30? Or Honda V45 Magna?

I get little confused...

Your recommended AVON radial tires are not available in this country; only bias or larger sizes are available.

Thus I choose Bridgestone BT45 now, though I may switch to Michelin Activ, which is not available in the States.
It may be that model. The model was not available in the US so that is why I had to import the wheels. They had the 18" x 3" comstar rear wheels both the gold and silver depending on model year, but were chain drive. In the US, the V45 had cast aluminum wheels. The tire sizes for the CXT are becoming very limited. I have been riding only the CXT since 1982, but I will be buying a new motorcycle in the next year. I have not decided which one just yet. Radial tires on the CXT vastly improve the performance, and a fork brace for the 500 is highly recommended. Honda added one for the 650T, that should provide an important clue.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Noir, can you get Pirelli Sport Demons or Metzeler Lasertecs?

I've got Sport Demons on my 500T and Lasertecs on my 650T, both are excellent tires.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Working on the comstar wheels is not something the unexperienced should even think about. That said, I have been running a custom 18" rear wheel on my personal 500 for over ten years and over 30,000 miles so it is certainly viable. I also run radial tires. I use radial tires because they do not grow in diameter near as much as bias ply tires do. This is important because a 130/90-18 bias-ply tire will grow and rub the front of the swingarm at speed. I use an Avon 130/80-18 radial on the back and a 120/70-18 on the front.

Back to the comstar wheels. Eurosport rear wheel will fit on the CXT but it is only 2.5 inches wide. What I use is a CXT hub and import chain drive VR750R 18" x 3" wide rear wheels using the VR spokes and rim to mate to the CXT hub. I use high strength stainless steel self locking bolts and nuts. The 500 does not have the HP to get to redline with the larger oversize bias-ply tire. The larger tire does lower cruise engine RPM a little. The 650T has the power and will redline with the oversize tire/wheel increasing top speed about 15 mph. (calculated and observed)I have a large inventory of 500T and 650T wheels in stock. I think I have one VR750R wheel left to do a conversion if some one wanted one.
Dan, I already have a 650E so access to that wheel is easy. The rim conversion you offer is interesting due to the wider rim. I am curious about how wide a tire will fit. What have you seen? Also, do you have access to a wider 17" rim?

Ed

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi, turbodan

I'm sorry; I am still in confusion.

VFR750R only uses cast wheels; Honda discontinue using comstar wheels after VF1000R in 1986 model.

Plus, Honda gave up using comstar wheels for 1983 VF750F intercepter, due to product liability concern.

In my opinion, I bet your wheel, chain driven, golden boomerang comstar 3.00x18, may be either VF750F

for Canadian, European, and Australian markets or CB1100R for European and Oceanian market.

Tech note:

Not well maintained Honda's first five star and this boomerang style comster wheels are now facing serious

matter, which is falling off rivets.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, Timothy_d

Both Pirelli Sport Demons and Metzeler Lasertecs which suit for CX-T is not available.

I can swap other vehicle's wheel though I am concerning clearance in distance between wheel and shaft drive case.

As you know, CX500TC uses bigger shaft drive case than CX650TC uses.

Otherwise to say, that is why CX650TC can use larger wheel size.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi, Timothy_d

Both Pirelli Sport Demons and Metzeler Lasertecs which suit for CX-T is not available.

I can swap other vehicle's wheel though I am concerning clearance in distance between wheel and shaft drive case.

As you know, CX500TC uses bigger shaft drive case than CX650TC uses.

Otherwise to say, that is why CX650TC can use larger wheel size.

The wheels that I imported came from New Zealand. It looks like they were either the 750f or the cb1100 wheels.

dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts