Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I'm considering a wheel swap for my Gl650 for cosmetic reasons. Would like an easy swap that gives a larger diameter rear wheel, preferably an 18", and ideally a smaller front at the same time, also and 18". What are the wheel options for swapping onto the GL650?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Would wheels off a CX650E work? Anyone tried this?

·
Registered
265 Posts
A CX650E has a rear disk but not sure if the rear hub would even be the same. You could go to a 78-79 standard that has a comstar 18' rear wheel but it's narrower and use a 79 goldwing comstar 19" front wheel to use the double disks. If you stay with the GL650 16" rear rim you could go to a cb1000 18" front rim.

·
Super Moderator
14,897 Posts
Using just about any front wheel you want is mostly a matter of getting the axle spacers right and maybe spacing the discs to line up with the calipers.

The rear is going to be the biggest problem. As Keith said, even if the CX650E wheel would mate with the GL650 final drive (which I don't believe it will) you would then need to convert it to the disc rear brake.

FWIW, I went the other way, starting with a CX650E and because parts for them were next to impossible to find I ended up changing to a GL500 swingarm & shaft, CX500 final drive (the same as GL500 except with the stud for the shock that I simply left in place and ignore), a combination of CX500 and GL500 rear brake parts (they are the same but I got parts from 2 sources) and a CX500 wheel. Fortunately the 650E frame has the tube for the drum brake's shaft.

I'm not sure off hand whether the GL650 wheel has the same splines as the ones for CX500 and GL500 but I do know that the 650 axle is larger diameter. This means that if the splines work you would need to either replace the bearings and spacer in the CX500 wheel to suit the 650 axle or sleeve the 650 final drive to match the 500 axle and use the 500 spacers (neither of which is terribly difficult).

One other consideration: The CX500 rear rim is intended for use with a 3.75-18 tire and your original rim is intended for a 130/90-16 so the CX500 rim is significantly narrower than the GL650 rim. This means that the CX wheel is not suitable for a 130 tire (a wider tire on a narrower rim often results in a smaller contact patch) but a number of people have successfully used 120/90-18 tires on CX rear wheels (this will lower the RPM at speed a bit too).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Using just about any front wheel you want is mostly a matter of getting the axle spacers right and maybe spacing the discs to line up with the calipers.

The rear is going to be the biggest problem. As Keith said, even if the CX650E wheel would mate with the GL650 final drive (which I don't believe it will) you would then need to convert it to the disc rear brake.

FWIW, I went the other way, starting with a CX650E and because parts for them were next to impossible to find I ended up changing to a GL500 swingarm & shaft, CX500 final drive (the same as GL500 except with the stud for the shock that I simply left in place and ignore), a combination of CX500 and GL500 rear brake parts (they are the same but I got parts from 2 sources) and a CX500 wheel. Fortunately the 650E frame has the tube for the drum brake's shaft.

I'm not sure off hand whether the GL650 wheel has the same splines as the ones for CX500 and GL500 but I do know that the 650 axle is larger diameter. This means that if the splines work you would need to either replace the bearings and spacer in the CX500 wheel to suit the 650 axle or sleeve the 650 final drive to match the 500 axle and use the 500 spacers (neither of which is terribly difficult).

One other consideration: The CX500 rear rim is intended for use with a 3.75-18 tire and your original rim is intended for a 130/90-16 so the CX500 rim is significantly narrower than the GL650 rim. This means that the CX wheel is not suitable for a 130 tire (a wider tire on a narrower rim often results in a smaller contact patch) but a number of people have successfully used 120/90-18 tires on CX rear wheels (this will lower the RPM at speed a bit too).
Thank you, Bob! I appreciate the info from you and Keith. At this point, I'm feeling like there may be too much work involved here to make it worth while. Was hoping for an easy direct fit swap, but it doesn't sound like there is such a thing in this case.

·
Super Moderator
14,897 Posts
Waiting for Murray to chime in. He's done more wheel swaps on these bikes than most.....

BTW: Why are you concerned about having the same wheel size on both ends? If you do the maths you will see that with the factory recommended tire sizes the outside diameter of the front & rear are pretty close to the same.

·
Super Moderator
14,897 Posts
Ah, but the bike will work better if the wheel that does the steering is narrower and transfer power a bit better if the one that propels it forward is a bit wider (not too much wider or ti will be harder to lean) and the same size wheels with different size tires often looks stranger than different size wheels with tires that have the same outer diameter.

·
Super Moderator
14,897 Posts
The only way to get a wider tire with a lager diameter wheel would be to change to a modern wheel and a radial tire. About all I know about radials is that you need to be very careful about making sure the one you end up with is compatible with the wheel you use (some radials require a much wider rim than a bias ply tire the same width).

Besides, it already has a 130 section tire and you aren't likely to fit anything much wider between the swingarm without compromising clearance, not to mention that in almost every case a narrower tire handles better. Remember that the hot rods of this family of bikes (Eurosports & Turbos) came with 120 section rears for a reason...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Great info. Thank you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts