Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
429 Posts
mmmmmm........ Sounds like bad juju on those head stock bearings.

Suggest to bite the bullet. Take the Triple apart. Service those tapered bearings.

WD-40 is not a cure for grease.

Is a few hours of your time worth gambling an accident????

Good Luck

·
Registered
1983 cx650E
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
mmmmmm........ Sounds like bad juju on those head stock bearings.

Suggest to bite the bullet. Take the Triple apart. Service those tapered bearings.

WD-40 is not a cure for grease.

Is a few hours of your time worth gambling an accident????

Good Luck
Thanks for the concern,. The appropriate chemical equation is not using wd-40 to replace grease, but wd-40' added to old grease, and mixed thoroughly yeilds rejuvenated grease! I don't think I used enough wd-40' to wash out the old grease or the bearings would be loose. The accident probability now is less than or equal to newly packed bearings. If they begin stiffening up again or get loose, then I'll have to do them over. What might be an hour with a proper shop becomes 4 hrs ubpnder the shade tree. So yeah, I'm confident they are greased well enough for now to help prevent such accident.

I might be rebuilding front forks sometime in the near future. So the wd-40' rejuvenation is thought of as a stop gap and temp fix.

The was this now turns and corners is what I remember as right. And with the new rubber up front. handles better than ever previously.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,480 Posts
The appropriate chemical equation is not using wd-40 to replace grease, but wd-40' added to old grease, and mixed thoroughly yeilds rejuvenated grease!
Or washed out, ineffective grease. This might not be a long term solution.
Check it often for excessive wear.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
429 Posts
@TonyG Do as you wish.

Remember, WD-40 is a Water Displacement product.

I'm no expert, but to my knowledge the only way to rejuvenate grease is replacement.

Good Luck, Ride Safe.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,970 Posts
Don't forget that most of the liquid in WD40 is a solvent that will evaporate. It may loosen up the old grease for a while but the effect will be temporary.

·
Super Moderator
24,024 Posts
That'd be the fish oil. The stuff is mostly kero, fish oil and a small amount of the 'proprietry' component.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
WD40 is mostly fish oil? Am i understanding correctly?

·
Super Moderator
24,024 Posts
Mostly kero.. It's the fish oil that leaves the sticky residue when the kero evaporates.

EDIT ... perhaps that is years out of date, but used to be true.

Google gives this:

50–60% naphtha (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy. <25% petroleum base oils. <10% naphtha (petroleum), hydrodesulfurized heavy (contains: 1,2,4-trimethyl benzene, 1,3,5-trimethyl benzene, xylene, mixed isomers) 2–4% carbon dioxide.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Interesting. I thought benzene & xylene were no-nos nowadays but maybe such small concentrations its not a problem.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Give the guy a break. He already stated this is only a temporary fix so he can ride. It isn’t as if these bearings see high friction, rpm’s, and heat. It’s already been stated that the wandering is gone, that’s a win in my book. Now he can ride while the weather is good and do the proper repairs in the off season.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
429 Posts
For some, "temporary" is enough time to get home for repairs.

For others, "temporary" can involve years.

It does not take a long time to pull the triple to properly service the bearings. Prolly less than 4 hours to accomplish. Any rain day its only an afternoon of work.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
For some, "temporary" is enough time to get home for repairs.

For others, "temporary" can involve years.

It does not take a long time to pull the triple to properly service the bearings. Prolly less than 4 hours to accomplish. Any rain day its only an afternoon of work.
So you pretend to know what “temporary” means to the OP? Just because you wouldn’t do what someone else has done doesn’t make it wrong. His bike is safer to ride now than it was before the “temporary” fix. This temporary fix does not put the rider in immediate danger, so get over it.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
429 Posts
@DouginEasternWashington Pardon me. I certainly didn't mean to trigger you.

Read carefully. "For some, temporary is enough time to get home for repairs. For others, temporary can involve years."

No where do I assume what "temporary" means to the OP. I can only read what the OP posts.

I never said the OP's solution was wrong. I believe it is a poor choice to delay a service to bearings. It is a simple task that will only require about 4 hours to properly resolve. If the OP is willing to take the risk for a possible locked steering, then that is the OP's choice. I certainly wouldn't advocate the OP's path until the end of the season.

Poorly lubricated bearings only lead to one end.

·
Registered
438 Posts
My temporary solution of duct tape around the parts of frame to hide rust holes is still holding up! :)

21 - 39 of 39 Posts