Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
331 Posts
FWIW, bearings are not horribly expensive. Yes, a quality bearing will be more $$ than the c-rap from the local big box store.

Bearings are standardized for sizing. The number on the side of bearing is coded for size and seals.

Suggest to make a visit to your local store who handles Power Transmission products. These guys specialize in belts, chains, gears, sprockets, bearings....... Take your bearings in to have them match up with some quality items.

Think brands like Koyo, Timken, INA for example.

Mind the install as previous posters have indicated.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
331 Posts
mmmmmm........ Sounds like bad juju on those head stock bearings.

Suggest to bite the bullet. Take the Triple apart. Service those tapered bearings.

WD-40 is not a cure for grease.

Is a few hours of your time worth gambling an accident????

Good Luck

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
331 Posts
@TonyG Do as you wish.

Remember, WD-40 is a Water Displacement product.

I'm no expert, but to my knowledge the only way to rejuvenate grease is replacement.

Good Luck, Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
331 Posts
For some, "temporary" is enough time to get home for repairs.

For others, "temporary" can involve years.

It does not take a long time to pull the triple to properly service the bearings. Prolly less than 4 hours to accomplish. Any rain day its only an afternoon of work.

·
Registered
1981 CX500C
331 Posts
@DouginEasternWashington Pardon me. I certainly didn't mean to trigger you.

Read carefully. "For some, temporary is enough time to get home for repairs. For others, temporary can involve years."

No where do I assume what "temporary" means to the OP. I can only read what the OP posts.

I never said the OP's solution was wrong. I believe it is a poor choice to delay a service to bearings. It is a simple task that will only require about 4 hours to properly resolve. If the OP is willing to take the risk for a possible locked steering, then that is the OP's choice. I certainly wouldn't advocate the OP's path until the end of the season.

Poorly lubricated bearings only lead to one end.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts