Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
20,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's no getting around the fact that the CX family of bikes are porkers for 500 - 650 cc bikes. The engines alone weigh 65 kg. with hanger. Which is more than I weigh.

Stock wet weight for a CX500 standard is 225 kg. wet.

The thingy weighed in today at 197 kg with a full tank of fuel. Happy with that but have plans to knock off a little more along the way.

Interesting to know the weights of some of the members bikes.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm about 0.107 Metric tons, the GL I have no idea. Probably pretty close to original weight since it's essentially stock.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Then serious hacking and slashing on the bike can reduce it's weight. But there is a point where the bike function will be compromised.

I wouldn't expect much more then 10-15 kg before the bike is compromised.

But then again, I'm a bit of an OEM believer. The Honda engineers who designed these bikes did a superior job of engineering. These bikes are still classic style, reliable (parts are a bugger to find) and rugged even after 40 years. Not many brands or models can make similar claim.

·
Super Moderator
20,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A little here and there Newt. Nothing is compromised.

I'll weigh the main contenders tomorrow - centrestand, H box, maggot mask and instruments, seat, airbox, tail and tail light and radiator shroud.

Before removing anything else that's a reasonable amount of weight.

My mufflers weigh almost nothing, as does the instrument. My seat and rear cowl and guard are much lighter than the original items,

I have deleted the rear engine hanger - as Honda did on all twinshock 82 models when they installed TI motors whose rear cover have no provision for the hanger and cut away the hanger on the rear cover except for the bit holding my ignition switch.

The custom tank is smaller than the original 78 tank.

The thingummy will be lighter. What is fibreglass on the thingy will be carbon fibre. Because carbon fibre is stronger they will be thinner. The cowl will be carbon fibre and possibly the gaurds. Its motor is already lighter. It has had 600 grams removed from the rotor, some from the crank and some from the rods, pistons and piston pins. It also has titanium valve keepers that save around 50 grams between them. but there real value is in reducing reciprocating mass in the valve train to help raise the rev ceiling.

But generally all weight loss is incremental part by part and no structural integrities were harmed in the making of the thingy.

In fact, I have plans to lighten the thingy more in a couple of future revisions.

If you can see in the thread where structural integrity is threatened let me know.

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
I estimate mine weighs about 330 Kg.

I looked up the stock dry weights of the CX650E I started with and the GL500 that it is gradually turning into while estimating that. I find it interesting that a fully dressed 500 only weighs 13 Kg more than the sport version of the 650...

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
My Gl500i with stuff to keep me comfy and alive weighs 598 lbs according to the hiway scales. Add me on it 360 kg.

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
With me on it Eccles would be closer to 410 Kg and with a passenger or a full load of groceries in the sidecar it could approach 500...

And I figure the GoldWing outfit weighs at least 50 Kg more than Eccles.....

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
The simplest item to weight reduce is the rider.
I figure my performance on the Gl650 is probably equivalent to a smaller rider on a GL500. ;)

·
Registered
254 Posts
I gave up riding trikes when learned how to pedal a bicycle. I think I was about 4 yo........

Now, I'm too lazy to pedal, so I use an engine.

·
Premium Member
1,527 Posts
I gave up riding trikes when learned how to pedal a bicycle. I think I was about 4 yo........

Now, I'm too lazy to pedal, so I use an engine.
I'd like a police trike.

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Super Moderator
14,044 Posts
I got my first sidecar so I didn't have to take the bus to work in the winter. A couple of years later I got a second bike so I didn't have to use the nice one when the roads are salted. There are roads near where we live now that I'll happily use on 3 wheels but wouldn't go down on 2 wheels (if you ever got half way in and found a grader plowing up the road you'll understand what I mean) so I got another sidecar for the summer machine.

BTW: I did have a trike for a couple of years. It is NOT the same as a sidecar outfit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
3 wheels is a tricycle (trike) by definition..........

How the 3rd wheel is attached is no matter.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts