Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man I have no idea what is going on in this market. A few days ago a running and reasonably good condition '82 CX500 turbo sold for just $1100 Canadian. Today I see a weathered Silverwing listed for $3500! I also have a pristine restored CX500 listed for $3k and I thought that was high 馃榾

Super Moderator
To the owner of the Turbo the bike was worth $1100. Yes, the seller could have sold it for more.
I suspect that the owner of the Silverwing thinks that the bike is worth more than it really is. At $3500 I think that it will not sell quickly.

Registered
I suspect that the owner of the Silverwing thinks that the bike is worth more than it really is. At $3500 I think that it will not sell quickly.
I wish him luck. He didn't even bother to hose it off for the posting.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I paid $900 for my Silverwing a few years back in great condition and 17,000 km! If you zoom in on the pic of the side cover, looks like some kind of putty wrapped around the water pump cover?

Registered
(Maybe) A few factors coming into play....
Supply and Demand (Vs "redbook/market value)
Covid-related economic downturn/employment changes...

Given that a new set of tyres costs a few hundred dollars...I have trouble accepting a good running bike can be had for a little more....

Registered
$1,100 Canadian for a running turbo is a steal. Not remotely indicative or actual value. $3,500 is probably too much for a silverwing but isn鈥檛 completely nuts.

Registered
Re: the $1,100 Turbo, some people just want to get rid of bikes as quickly as possible and/or they don't know what they've got. I've seen a complete unmolested Suzuki GT550 (2 stroke, triple) for $100. Same bike came up a few weeks later for $1500 and again sold quickly.

Registered
This is the same issue guys have been dealing with since all the way back to the Egyptians buying camels in the desert. It's all about condition. Does is have good teeth ? How about the hooves ? One hump or two ? Are its ribs showing ? Does it follow orders ? Does it smell bad ? Well, it's gonna smell bad anyway, I will grant you that. Where has it been all its life ? Does it limp ? You get the idea.

Registered
I've seen a complete unmolested Suzuki GT550 (2 stroke, triple) for $100.
I'll take 2 please! While you're at it, I'll take a few 750's also! :p I guess i'm not in the right place in the right time or ...

Registered
I'll take 2 please! While you're at it, I'll take a few 750's also! :p I guess i'm not in the right place in the right time or ...
It was gone in no time, probably 15 minutes and easily less than an hour. I saw it pop up on my mobile phone while watching TV with the wife. Left immediately to make contact, but it was still too late.

Registered
Askin' ain't gettin'! But a high asking price often starts the negotiation higher than it would otherwise be. We're a more than average savvy membership too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts