Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this look correct? Or is this tire mounted backwards?

(Front tire viewed from the front of the bike)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Looks backwards to me. I would think the channels should be directing the water to the outside as it rotates forward....this looks as if it would be directing it to the middle center of the tire when it rotates forward....

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
If its a directional tire it should have an arrow showing the correct rotation somewhere on the sidewall.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yep I think Breeze is right. It appears to be mounted backwards. And as kingston said it should have an arrow on the sidewall.

It happens, I have mounted a couple backwards before. Luckily I caught it before I put it back on the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think you'll find that the grooves are oriented so they channel the water out in the direction of thrust--on a front tire, that's under braking. My Metzlers are like that, with a "rotation" direction, not just an arrow.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is mounted correctly,,A friend of mine just put a pair of Metzlers on his bike and he thought the guy installing it was putting it on wrong, but they double checked it to be sure. We were talking about it later and figured a lot of people are going to think it is mounted wrong. I was just posting to see how many people would.

The rear tire tread is oriented the opposite way.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The arrow should be pointing to the front. Otherwise if in the rain the water will concentrate under the wheel and add to the possibility of hydroplaning. That is scarry stuff. If it's backwards, Change it.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I am pretty sure it is correct. Remember you are looking at the top and when it is at the bottom it will channel the water from the center out to sides towards the rear.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Seen a few tyres like that

it looks 'wrong' to the eye doesnt it? but one would hope the

designer boffins knew what they were about

·
Registered
131 Posts
Now knowing it has a directional arrow....I'd go with the directional arrow as the source of truth. Just seems counter to what you would think....

Of course I'd be avoiding any rain soaked roads....lol

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bike's in the garage and not on the road? lol.

Yeah,,we really wanted to take it out in the rain and change the tires on the side of the road,,but because there was so much water running down the icy driveway, it was way too slippery so unfortunately we had to do it inside the garage.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I hate it when that happens. There's nothing like a tire change in the rain to make you appreciate your garage.

The ice started melting in our drive today but I suspect it will be frozen again in a few days. Oh how I love winter.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
1 - 17 of 17 Posts