Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just interested to see what speeds you have got upto ? I know it isnt at all designed for speed but i was just curious! And is there any mods you can do to increase acceleration and gain speed thanks :).

·
Registered
892 Posts
90mph 2-up, but didnt do it for long. Didnt wanna kill my bike.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The easyest way to improve acceleration and top speed is to sell it and buy an older CBR 600. Way more potential than these parcel delivery bikes. LOL. No seriously, all you need to do is contact Murray on the site here. A set of his carbs, Hbox deletion pipes, and the proper tuning as well as removing anything not needed will give you the best gains possible. Check out the Wiki link in my signature and follow along with some of the build threads on here and you'll find out how to make it go. It'll never hit 120 though. Unless it's in the back of a truck, then maybe. Welcome and good luck.

Reactions: fusion1962

·
Registered
227 Posts
My GL has pegged the speedo at 85 for a stretch of flat straight-away two-lane backroad. I am however a big believer in not trying to make VW Beetle fit to run the Indy 500. In the long run it always works out cheaper and easier IMHO to buy a vehicle suited to the task desired. You want a high speed superslab cruiser or 'sport bike"? Buy one, there are plenty out there, many made by Honda..

·
Registered
24,386 Posts
cx500 with a little head work 18 inch back wheel some good coils and iridium plugs

a less fluffy rider and a set of my carbs can hit 120

110 is no prob even for us fluffy guys

my black bike can do over 127 with me on it without Juice

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
AFAIK does a standard model CX 500 (18" rear) run 18 kph (11mph) / 1000 rpm. That means a bit over redline @ 180 kph / 110 mph - actual - not indicated. German bike mag "Motorrad" is said to have reached 185 kph when they tested an early 500 standard, with their rider glued to the tank. Most other mags reported 165 - 170 kph. Whether indicated or actual is more than I know. I´ve never seen the tacho needle in red in fifth, but actually pretty close once on a GL 500 I owned long ago. Maybe 170 kph, more or less actual. Also a Deluxe I owned before was happy to peg its tacho needle pretty close to red.

/Sture

·
Registered
24,386 Posts
always remember be safe

good tires great brakes check everything

then slowly run the road you are going to be a dumbass on make sure there are no tire bits or potholes ect

get a buddy to go well ahead and pull over get someone to follow and lag behind to stop anyone behind you from over taking

that way if anything happens you will have help near by and the cops cant sneak up on you

·
Registered
824 Posts
Around 127 pushing into the red band.

650 will run to 150 indicated but I've yet to run it with a GPS to confirm.

·
Registered
807 Posts
See, I told you Murray was the guy to talk to. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I think I've hit 95 twice but that's all I can do before I lose my nerve!

·
Registered
184 Posts
They are only supposed to go 106 mph stock at the best however I had a 1981 gl interstate showing 110 I think the speedopmeters read a little higher than actual speed. The gl had about 20,000 kilometers on it at the time which was 1995 or 96.

Cx500 Deluxe 1980

·
Registered
496 Posts
I haven't gone much faster than 95 or so and she's still pulling hard at that speed. Oh oops mine doesn't count it's the 650...

·
Super Moderator
22,142 Posts
They are only supposed to go 106 mph stock at the best however I had a 1981 gl interstate showing 110 I think the speedopmeters read a little higher than actual speed. The gl had about 20,000 kilometers on it at the time which was 1995 or 96.

Cx500 Deluxe 1980
Honda speedos over read by around 5% so you can't blame the manufacturer for your speeding fines.

I think the other Jap manufacturers do the same.

·
Registered
473 Posts
been to 150 Kmph on my Gl400. GPS speed, it was but not for long, these roads and especially the drivers and livestock being what they are. It was good to know what this baby (literally) of our bikes can do but I value both my bike and my life too much to do it regularly. Mostly run at 100 to 110 max.

Mark in Thailand

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Sustained 90 mph (based on speedo) for one hour. The bike and I were in a cruising groove rolling on the interstate. Then some flashy lights showed up behind me................

Fortunately, the Highway Patrolman was also an old bike feind. We talked about the infraction, we chatted about the bike and work done, talked about his '80 Naked GoldWing, talked about riding gear (I was ATGATT)......after about 30 minutes he wrote the citation for 5 mph over in a 75 mph zone. He was happy to see a rider with proper gear and care for a vintage. Then he said slow down for the next 50 miles because the next patrolman loved ticketing 2 wheels.

He was a decent fellow. I hit the next exit turned around went back home. Gave him a beep, beep and a wave as I went by his hidey place.

·
Registered
76 Posts
North of doing the ton on mine (GPS), and I've done very little to it, pipes, ignitech, filter, and rejet.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts