Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the Weep Hole work anyway ??

it can't really be just a hole though right... does it have a "valve" in there ?

Mine has something in there whether it's good or bad

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
How does the Weep Hole work anyway ??

it can't really be just a hole though right... does it have a "valve" in there ?

Mine has something in there whether it's good or bad

It is just a hole,,how far into the hole do you feel the obstruction?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The weep hole is an early warning feature that either the oil seal or pump seal has started to fail,

if you get oil out - or coolant then you will probably need to replace the seal.

the hole has no valve it is the lowest drain point for any fluid build up..

if your weep hole is blocked - then maybe a PO put something in it to stop leaking ( bad move)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it depends on how wide the hole is. I haven't found anything that seems to pierce through well enough.

It looks like it's just grime, but i don't know. If it's just a straight hole wouldn't it always "weep"?

((edit))

The weep hole is an early warning feature that either the oil seal or pump seal has started to fail,

if you get oil out - or coolant then you will probably need to replace the seal.

the hole has no valve it is the lowest drain point for any fluid build up..

if your weep hole is blocked - then maybe a PO put something in it to stop leaking (bad move)

That makes total sense. Thank You

·
Registered
385 Posts
I used a small allen or a tooth pick to clean it out. it is just a straight shot.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tooth pick is a good idea. Well knowing that it is a straight shot helps a lot. I'll just keep on poking at it I guess.

I've been hoping that Lacquer thinner and a blast of air would keep it from getting packed tight.

We'll find out tomorrow how it works.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I used a small allen or a tooth pick to clean it out. it is just a straight shot.

You don't want to use anything too long, you could damage the mechanical seal.

Toothpick or Allen wrench should be OK.

Zegwin, did you clean it with it apart or was the waterpump cover on?

I cleaned mine once, but the engine was apart,,it had a crust at the top of the hole, I wonder if a toothpick would be long enough to reach it if it was in the bike with the waterpump cover on. It was quite a while ago when I did it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
mine was (is) apart. and yah a tooth pick is long enough. I will check tomorrow.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine was seriously pluged solid with that white aluminum rust. I could not poke anything through it. I had to drill it out when I had the cover off to change the cam chain.

Truthfully that's where I'm kind of worried. I have tiny bits I could drill through carefully.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where can I find stiff wire really was the question I asked myself last weekend... I couldn't find any.

I can't say I'm very resourceful though

Thanks for the thought. I think I remember Shep suggesting an old guitar string.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Where can I find stiff wire really was the question I asked myself last weekend... I couldn't find any.

I can't say I'm very resourceful though

Thanks for the thought. I think I remember Shep suggesting an old guitar string.
A wire coat hanger?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You know I did try to poke a sharpened paper clip in there and it didn't get through.

Some gunk wiped off of it afterward, but no go...

I think a very small and carefully drilled Bit is in order.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Hardware stores sell a kit of "poking wires" in progressively smaller sizes which is really handy to have in your work shop. It is called a "Tip Cleaner". Mine is made by "Lincoln Electric".

Also us guitar players have old sets of guitar strings in our houses for in case a fresh string breaks. Those pre-wound wires come is 6 different thicknesses, called E A D G B and high E. (The Tip Cleaner is handier though.)

And remember what Red Green always says about not being handsome but at least being handy....

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I often use old bicycle spokes for my wire "poking" needs. the spokes also make good parts hangers for cleaning, painting etc...

Many Hobby Shops stock a brand of metal products "K & S." they have piano wire and various metal rods, tubes etc... in a variety of sizes if you need to get a specific diameter.

K&S Metal Products Website

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I often use old bicycle spokes for my wire "poking" needs. the spokes also make good parts hangers for cleaning, painting etc...

Many Hobby Shops stock a brand of metal products "K & S." they have piano wire and various metal rods, tubes etc... in a variety of sizes if you need to get a specific diameter.

K&S Metal Products Website

Hey perfect !!

I forgot about Hobby Shops. That stand is where I found a brass rod for the Spark Plug Resister Cap Rebuild

I must have spent half an hour just wandering around the shop. It was a great little store.

Great advice guys
I'm proud of all of you

(I'll see if I can get some pictures later today)

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mine was seriously pluged solid with that white aluminum rust. I could not poke anything through it. I had to drill it out when I had the cover off to change the cam chain.

You were right !!

I drilled it from the outside, by hand (using needle nose pliers to grip the end of the drill bit)

starting with 1/16 then 5/64 and finally 3/32. It was fairly soft material, brown and rusty colored gunk.

I cleaned up with a jet of air, a spray of lacquer, and another jet of air.

This is one of those areas I was clueless on. It feels great knowing it's clean and cared for.

Thanks for the help.

--Keith

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's the truth

The whole rebuild seems to be along those lines. At least I'll know the parts are set up to work properly.

Hopefully that means it fires up and runs smooth from the start.

Thanks again for the input

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.