Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

This is my first bike purchase, I found a 1981 CX500 custom in my area. The bike runs and I've test driven it. It has 7500 miles, and two of its turn signals are broken from when the owner leaned it into a wall. The previous owner replaced the batter last fall is asking for $1700 which is $95 off the Kelly Blue Book value. what's a fair price? Would I be overpaying at $1700?

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@nolimitz Yeah, the supply is kind of short. There weren't many bikes in this price range. I'm just a little hesitant because it's my first purchase. Do you think it's a good deal? I may be able to talk the guy down to $1600

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Looks fairly clean and unmolested.. The mid west folks will be able to give you a better idea on prices in the area. hang tight someone will be along soon, I'm sure.

Check the date codes on the tires. Anything ove 5 years should be replaced. Consider how much $$ your willing to spend on maint. items like tires, brakes, fluid changes are just a few examples. it is a 40 yr old machine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow, I missed that!

The add shows a selling price of $3100?
Yeah, I offered $1600 when I met him, he countered with $1700. I went by the KBB suggested price, not trade-in as I didn't know the difference and this is my first craigslist purchase.

Looks fairly clean and unmolested.. The mid west folks will be able to give you a better idea on prices in the area. hang tight someone will be along soon, I'm sure.

Check the date codes on the tires. Anything over 5 years should be replaced. Consider how much $$ your willing to spend on maint. items like tires, brakes, fluid changes are just a few examples. it is a 40 yr old machine
I'll ask him about the tires. I was aware I'd have to change the oil, brake fluid on the front brakes, I'm not sure if I'd have to swap out the coolant, though so advice on that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
this is also a good reference

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
this is also a good reference
I doubt this motorcycle has had a triple bypass done on it. I really don't want to spend much on it right now. I don't think I have enough experience to do an engine-out service at home. Do you think it'll need one soon?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I doubt this motorcycle has had a triple bypass done on it. I really don't want to spend much on it right now. I don't think I have enough experience to do an engine-out service at home.
Based on this statement I think that any bike 40+ years old is a bad idea for you. On the flip side, if you want to learn how to work on your own bike, these bikes are about the easiest out there to work on and are incredibly reliable when maintained.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on this statement I think that any bike 40+ years old is a bad idea for you. On the flip side, if you want to learn how to work on your own bike, these bikes are about the easiest out there to work on and are incredibly reliable when maintained.
I'm fine with rebuilding the carbs at home, but doing a triple-bypass is difficult for me. Do you think this bike would need one soon, based on the mileage and all?

·
Registered
338 Posts
That is an aftermarket speedometer, don't go by that mileage. I'm 2hrs from you and I would think $1400.00 at the most with the signal fixed.

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
That price seems a fair amount high to me also, for a bike that is, despite appearance and mileage, "as is". It is likely you will have to do various tasks on a 40 year old bike, but at that mileage probably not the triple bypass, the mileage is LOW. That said, age takes its whacks too. It's almost fall season in the US, when asking prices ain't getting prices. Since he started at the ridiculous price of $3,100, he has identified himself as a shyster right off the bat. I would keep looking, nice bikes below $1,200 should be available if you keep looking. And maybe from someone with a conscience.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm fine with rebuilding the carbs at home, but doing a triple-bypass is difficult for me. Do you think this bike would need one soon, based on the mileage and all?
When the bike will need the triple bypass is a crap shoot. It seems that bikes ridden regularly with cam chain adjusted regularly will go 50,000 miles or more before needing the bypass. It seems that bikes that sit for a long time don’t get the proper maintenance and need the bypass very soon after being put back into service. A gamble either way.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
That price seems a fair amount high to me also, for a bike that is, despite appearance and mileage, "as is". It is likely you will have to do various tasks on a 40 year old bike, but at that mileage probably not the triple bypass, the mileage is LOW. That said, age takes its whacks too. It's almost fall season in the US, when asking prices ain't getting prices. Since he started at the ridiculous price of $3,100, he has identified himself as a shyster right off the bat. I would keep looking, nice bikes below $1,200 should be available if you keep looking. And maybe from someone with a conscience.
Any 40 year old bike on the market will be sold “as is”. I wouldn’t devalue the bike based on that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts