Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

have a chance to get a bike. was thinking of getting it for parts. seems to be in pretty good condition from the craigslist pictures. it's a 78 with about 40k miles. in the description he says, "with broken water pump end of camshaft." i have a camshaft that i can replace it with. just wondering what you guys think. makes me wonder what happened to the engine to have that end of the camshaft brake. from that limited info, what would you think the bike is worth?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
You have a couple of things on your side here. First, there probably aren't 100 people actively looking for a 78 CX. Of those, maybe 5 know how to swap a cam out. And of those 5 only 2 want to do it. So that leaves you and another guy. And the other guy only has $150.00 to spend. I would offer no more than $200.00 and see what happens.

Having a shop do this would probably cost $600 plus, even if you could find one that knew how and wanted to do it.

As to to why it is broken. Perhaps the dome nut was tightened too much and twisted off the threaded end. I think I remember that these are actually a two piece cam and are pressed together. Maybe somehow that came apart. Who knows, but the valves and pistons need to be checked before reassembly to make sure there wasn't unpleasant contact due to the shaft breaking. It would depend on where the shaft broke on if this could happen.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Hey Guys,

have a chance to get a bike. was thinking of getting it for parts. seems to be in pretty good condition from the craigslist pictures. it's a 78 with about 40k miles. in the description he says, "with broken water pump end of camshaft." i have a camshaft that i can replace it with. just wondering what you guys think. makes me wonder what happened to the engine to have that end of the camshaft brake. from that limited info, what would you think the bike is worth?

Dean, if the fuel tank is good I'll give yo $50.00 for that.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If there is a title with it it should be worth a little more,,without that it is no good other than for parts.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
A bike that you KNOW is going to need major surgery, and the seller knows it too?.............50 bucks! If the seller knows you WANT the bike, which is a bad thing to the buyer.......the price goes up. Heck, just tell the guy to give it to ya just so he could be rid of it.....Lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.