Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering what other aftermarket accessories you guys have that are vintage/made in the time that these bikes came out...that were meant for these bikes, or other Honda's (but fit the cx500 with little or no modification)...

I'll have to take some pictures of mine. I have the black valve covers that have the Honda Logo on them made by RaceCrafters.

Vista Cruise control off a GL500 at the local salvage.

I also found a couple gas caps at my local salvage new in the bags hanging in a room in the main building that show how much gas is left in the tank via a float attached to a chain with a gauge built into the cap...never seen them before but it fits my CX500 Custom tank...and gives me a general idea of when to refuel...

Also I found a pair of MAC mufflers on Ebay, new in the box, that they don't make anymore...can't wait to get them on...Different sized jets are in the mail, so i can tune the carbs once i go through the exhaust with new gaskets, and put on the new mufflers.

-Chris-

·
Registered
209 Posts
I've seen those same caps only for my Triple. never knew if they were really worth the time to change out.

Only after market meant for the bike i still have on is the Bridgestone Mag-Mopus tires. I also have a no name highway bar on my bike. Only seen maybe one or two online with it, i'm assuming it was one of the more rare ones?

Those crash bars ^^^

·
Super Moderator
15,417 Posts
Also I found a pair of MAC mufflers on Ebay, new in the box, that they don't make anymore...can't wait to get them on...Different sized jets are in the mail, so i can tune the carbs once i go through the exhaust with new gaskets, and put on the new mufflers.

-Chris-

Not fair. I has some rust off my bike and the jet configuration was 90/122.

I have a set of highwaybars that I don't think are honda, markland, or Kg but they fit my bike just fine.

I also have an aftermarket sissybar and Hondaline saddlebags for a custom.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I've seen those same caps only for my Triple. never knew if they were really worth the time to change out.

Only after market meant for the bike i still have on is the Bridgestone Mag-Mopus tires. I also have a no name highway bar on my bike. Only seen maybe one or two online with it, i'm assuming it was one of the more rare ones?

Those crash bars ^^^
That is the type that I originally wanted! Those are SCARCE!

·
Registered
209 Posts
That is the type that I originally wanted! Those are SCARCE!

I didn't know they were like that rare. I just figured they were since i hadn't seen any pics of them. They have like a ladder brace under the engine and they bolt near the fan. If i had shorter legs they would be nice for pegs, but being 6'6" they are kinda useless aside from saving the engine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 82 GL500 has a few things. A few months ago at my favorite salvage yard I found a crusty looking package with a NOS fuse cover that's metal and chromed, don't remember who the maker was. Paid $10. I also found something that is more likely not aftermarket, but something someone had done. Bought a set of valve covers, clutch cover, and oil filter housing that was chromed. Really set the bike off and no endless polishing! Also put a NOS Hondaline voltmeter in my fairing to keep an eye on that pesky stator. Patience, diligence, and some digging usually has me taking home some cool old stuff for my bikes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 82 GL500 has a few things. A few months ago at my favorite salvage yard I found a crusty looking package with a NOS fuse cover that's metal and chromed, don't remember who the maker was. Paid $10. I also found something that is more likely not aftermarket, but something someone had done. Bought a set of valve covers, clutch cover, and oil filter housing that was chromed. Really set the bike off and no endless polishing! Also put a NOS Hondaline voltmeter in my fairing to keep an eye on that pesky stator. Patience, diligence, and some digging usually has me taking home some cool old stuff for my bikes.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have a few aftermarked accessories and some factory ones. Hondaline engine guards, Honda 4 gauge analog cluster on fairing (clock, altimeter, voltmeter and outside temp gauge). Markland floorboards and passenger boards, Markland trunk relocator and Winter lowers. didn't know I had so much stuff, might be time to install it or have a garage sale.

·
Administrator
2021 Benelli Leoncino Trail - 2021 CSC SG400 - 2017 SSR Buccaneer 250i - Several CX project bikes
1,752 Posts
Well, I don't own them all right now, but this is the stuff I've had my hands on in the past, or currently have in my garage: Sissy bar, KG rear rack, KG crash bars, Hondaline crash bars, at least two other types of crash bars, Bates saddlebags with chrome guards and CX500 mounting kit (newly painted black, missign hinges and locks and weather stripping and lights though), GL500 floorboards kit, Cycle Sound stereo system, a couple of Vetter fairings (hate them all), a brand new set of vetter bags along with a CX500 mounting kit, a travelcade cx500 touring seat, Mac 2-into-1 (LOVED IT!), and a couple of odd doodads like chrome brake caliper covers (immediately removed and trashed).

Charles.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My '79 Custom has (dealer installed?) Vetter Quicksilver fairing. I'm not sure if that was a dealer installed option but I'm nearly convinced it's been on there since new. It also has what I believe is Honda engine crash bars and I recently installed Vetter saddlebags and tail bag. The tail bag admittedly is off a Kawasaki, but matches and looks great with the saddlebags.

·
Registered
222 Posts
On my GL500I

- Markland trunk relocator

- Markland chrome radiator grille

- Markland driver backrest

- KG crash bars

- CycleSounds radio mount, modified to take modern DIN radio

- Cigarette lightter outlet

- Coin holder

- Harbor Freight volt meter in fairing

In a box, just waiting (nope, not for sale)

- Hondaline crash guards

- Markland rear crash guard and bag protector

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.