Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a stock 79 cx500 D and I need to make new cables. I want to order a cable to cut to size but I am not sure what style my stock cable is for the throttle. I know when I get on the throttle I pull back almost in a downward motion. It has two cables coming out from the bottom of the unit also. I think it's pull but I want to make sure. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
As stated, the system is pull/but wrongly called push. There is a return spring on the body of the carb that retracts the cable to the NO THROTTLE point. Keep in mind that the tension of the PULL is controlled by the spring on the carb to actuate the second return cable. If that spring is weak, it will not retract the throttle second/"push" cable.

See the WIKI here
Please also note that some of the links in the WIKI are no longer valid links. If you look for Larry's carb rebuild set of pics, you might find the correct pics of said spring. I'm out of time for tonight.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
Push cable is the backup. If the spring fails, the push cable will close the throttle.
True, in an emergency, if all is not mucked up.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
mmmmm... now that you have me thinking about it. I guess it would pull the throttle closed. Now I have to ask a question. If spring went can you keep going just with the two cables, pulling n pulling? K

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
mmmmm... now that you have me thinking about it. I guess it would pull the throttle closed. Now I have to ask a question. If spring went can you keep going just with the two cables, pulling n pulling? K
Yes, but if you let go of the throttle it would not close, you would need to roll the the throttle forward.

·
Super Moderator
21,149 Posts
Ok so what cables do I need? Do I need one push? And one pull? I want to order the cables soon.
You only NEED the pull cable. The pushcable is there as a failsafe against failure of the return spring or some other failure that might lead to a jammed throttle.

Myself, I generally keep the push cable as I've had vehicles jam at WOT on me in the past.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Are you going to shorter cables?
I have a set of stock cables if you need em.
Rusty

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Try pushing a chain.
That reminds me of a quip by George Burns, "Sex at age ninety is like trying to shoot pool with a rope".

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts