Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am searching for my first CX500/650TC, regarding the paint issue, after searching the forums it appears that painting the fairing on the CX is an expensive deal due to a paint match being readily unavailable.

Am I off base here?

What should I look for when buying a CX TC?

You can always ask about the stator and when it was last checked and beyond cosmetics and the usual used bike things you look at is there anything specific I should be looking for?

Prices seem to be all over the place between craigslist and ebay with bikes that appear to being in similar condition. What are the "real world" prices for a cx500 and 650 TC?

I figure any CX that I buy I am going to have to put a battery in and do general maintenance (brake fluid and pads, change oil, clean filters, tires if they are old etc).

What am I over looking?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I am searching for my first CX500/650TC, regarding the paint issue, after searching the forums it appears that painting the fairing on the CX is an expensive deal due to a paint match being readily unavailable.

Am I off base here?

You can always ask about the stator and when it was last checked and beyond cosmetics and the usual used bike things you look at is there anything specific I should be looking for?

Prices seem to be all over the place between craigslist and ebay with bikes that appear to being in similar condition. What are the "real world" prices for a cx500 and 650 TC?

I figure any CX that I buy I am going to have to put a battery in and do general maintenance (brake fluid and pads, change oil, clean filters, tires if they are old etc).

What am I over looking?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts

Am I off base here?

What am I over looking?

Thanks.
Everybody is going to be looking for different things in a bike. Your skill level should determine where you spend the most money. If you have good paint skills you might want to invest in a bike in great mechanical shape and plan to do the cosmetics yourself. If you are better mechanically and have access to parts then one with some mechanical issues may be attractive. In any event, you are dealing with a bike that is almost 30 years old and you need to be ready for lots of surprises and issues.

Price wise you will see them priced all over the place. Dealers are obviously in it to make a living and may or may not be up on the prices. They will offer a $3,000 bike for $5,000 in hopes that someone will eventually buy it. On this site the group almost "polices" prices and says yeah that's a good price, or that seller must be doing crack. Plan to pay a minimum of $2,000 for a running bike. A well maintained, nice looking bike will easily be double that. 650's will probably be noticeably more as they are just so rare. Try to price out a project bike as best you can before you buy it. There are a couple guys that advertise their services and bikes from time to time that sound real good. While their prices may seem high, I doubt you could do it yourself any cheaper or any better. Watch this site, E-bay, Craigslist, and Cycle Trader for prices and offerings. Good luck.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Welcome to the forums, and the CX family. You will find a good bike, it is just a matter

of time and searching. Once you own a turbo, you will understand our passion for them.

Both the 500T and 650T are great bikes. I agree with Ed H. The 650 is definitely harder to find and more rare.

I have owned two 650's and one 500 over the years. It took me about 6 months until I found my current 650T. I literally searched craigslist for every major city several times each week.

Finally found it on Houston craigslist. My brother in law is a Texas cop (he ran the vin and plate for me; was clean and

registered as the seller had indicated). Had it shipped from Texas ($480, by JettCycle,excellent service!!).

I got it for $2,000 with a clean title. It had not be run in three years, and the guy was straight-up and honest

with me; missing the seat cover, gas cap, battery and right front turn signal. Front and rear brakes frozen,

master cylinders dried and crusted. Luckily, I have some fairly good mechanical skills and tools, and was

easily able to rebuild the masters & calipers, purchased the seat cover ($65) and gas cap ($12) on eBay.

Battery was a standard WalMart, $39. Stator was fried; $132 (Dennis Kirk, Electrex unit) and about 10 hours of time

over the weekend, installed the Yamaha mechanical seal on the water pump while I was in there, and

replaced both the Engine Speed Sensor pick-up coils ($5) at the junkyard. The paint was original and overall good

condition. I had the bike running in about a month, and well worth the effort. I have never really had a problem with parts. Many of the brake parts, switches, controls, etc are interchangeable with other 80's Honda's. Some of the sensors can be rebuilt, some can interchange with Honda cars from the 80s. I have even made my turn signal cover by making a mold from Plaster of Paris, using the original cover from my 500T, which produced a nearly flawless cover with casting resin, and finished it semi-gloss black.

You will find just about any help you need within this forum. I will stack our collective knowledge against any so-called "Honda mechanic" any day. Just post your issues or concerns, and many responses will be forthcoming. Good luck.......now surf on over to craigslist and start your search for one of these Honda classics...........

·
Registered
450 Posts
What to look for when buying a CXT really depends upon what you want out of it. If you plan on putting many exhilarating miles on it, why not get one in lesser condition and not worry about painting it? You'll pay less and not fret over every scratch and everyday wear. Check the stator output, and check for open windings or windings shorted to ground. Check for coolant pump leaks. The prices are low considering they are rare, exotic, unusual beasts, with addictive "stronger as it goes faster" power delivery- they are the king of the open road. 650TDs are scarce, so it will take more time to find one compared to the 500. Prices for CX500TCs are $1,300 to $4,000 depending upon condition, and 650TDs range between $2300 and $6,000. A truly exceptional model could bring much more than that, but sales of near mint 30 year old CXTs are too uncommon to put an exact price on them.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am a new CX500TC owner, about 2 weeks. I searched for about a year before I found one close enough to home to go get. I had to take some chances but I felt the owner was being truthful with me so I bought. About 550 miles from home. I have a CX500 and a Gl650I and am familiar with how they sound and operate but this is only the second Turbo I have even heard run much less ride. My bike is cosmetically very good and everything works as it should. As for the motor, I think it is a little noisy but it runs good and is scary on boost. She cost me $2750.00 and I couldn't be happier. Maybe ignorance is bliss but it starts and runs and rides really well. See her in my post.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I am a new CX500TC owner, about 2 weeks. I searched for about a year before I found one close enough to home to go get. I had to take some chances but I felt the owner was being truthful with me so I bought. About 550 miles from home. I have a CX500 and a Gl650I and am familiar with how they sound and operate but this is only the second Turbo I have even heard run much less ride. My bike is cosmetically very good and everything works as it should. As for the motor, I think it is a little noisy but it runs good and is scary on boost. She cost me $2750.00 and I couldn't be happier. Maybe ignorance is bliss but it starts and runs and rides really well. See her in my post.

Reading this thread makes me feel really lucky. I never thought I'd even see one of these in person and had never actively searched. My 500 turbo popped up on craigslist in my city and I snatched it up. Now I have the taste and I want a 650 turbo since my wife's Hurricane 600 will walk all over my 500TC.

As far as what to look for... Make sure the front turn signal lenses are good! It might not hurt to bring an 18mm deep with an extension, universal, and your ratchet. Pull the plugs, do a compression test. Look at the coolant, air filter, engine oil and get an idea of what you're getting into. A 10mm makes it easy to pop off the rocker covers and look for neglect too. Make sure the fuel system light goes off after starting would be a good thing too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.