Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have the orriginal engine from my bike sitting and i need to do something with it. I have concidered rebuilding the whole thing, but the funds are tight and i think my GF would flip if i started another Bike related project and she dosent have one yet. A few seasons ago i had the heads completly rebuilt and plained and the cylinders honed new rings on the pistons and all new gaskets. The headgaskets failed and i got fed up and bought a seccond hand engine that has treated me well save for a filing mec seal and shifter seal.

Any sugestions. Im kinda attached to it so dont know if i want to sell it yet.

forgot that i put new connecting rod berrings in too.

I think i might tear it down to see how they faired.

·
Registered
967 Posts
So i have the orriginal engine from my bike sitting and i need to do something with it. I have concidered rebuilding the whole thing, but the funds are tight and i think my GF would flip if i started another Bike related project and she dosent have one yet. A few seasons ago i had the heads completly rebuilt and plained and the cylinders honed new rings on the pistons and all new gaskets. The headgaskets failed and i got fed up and bought a seccond hand engine that has treated me well save for a filing mec seal and shifter seal.

Any sugestions. Im kinda attached to it so dont know if i want to sell it yet.

forgot that i put new connecting rod berrings in too.

I think i might tear it down to see how they faired.

Sounds like you are on the fence, but what I am hearing from your thoughts, is you really don't want to get rid of it.

I would say mothball it and wait, maybe it would be a good project for you and the GF?
These will only become more and more scarce, in my opinion, you are sitting on a goldmine
I wish I had a spare motor.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
DON'T GET RID OF IT! Definitely hang on to it, if you don't want to rebuild it or service it at least fog the cylinders and inner parts to keep the rust away and plug up all the openings with an oiled rag or oiled newspaper to keep moisture out.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
If you know an engine's going to be sitting for a while you can use something called engine fog, basically a spray oil you can shoot into the cylinders and carbs, where ever the engine needs protection. You can do the same with plain oil but the spray can makes sure you get full coverage. It's usually found in the outboard motor section, used for boats a lot.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've got a blowed up engine sitting on my extra work bench. Right now it is just eye candy

I agree, hang on to it. Eventually you will a need a part (then another, then another) so in the end you really won't make any money selling it.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
I went to Target and bought a plastic container big enough to fit the engine in, fogged it and sprayed it down with home brew penetrating oil, ATF and Marvel Mystery Oil. Wrapped the whole thing in cling wrap (I have one of those big rolls used for packaging air freight, but the kitchen variety would work.) Once wrapped and ready, lid on and find a convenient spot to put the thing and forget about it. Murphy's law being what it is, you'll never need it for anything after that. BUT, should you throw it out or otherwise dispose of it, you'll need it the very next day.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i posted this and forgot that i did till today. I had to bust the sucker open for the guide pins on the rear cover. Upon opening it i deicovered the horrible state of the insides. I think after i get my bike to the point of rideability i will completely tear it down and set parts ready for storage. Eventualy i will do a full rebuild. possibly after the crazyness dies down.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.