Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The H-box on my exhaust looks a little ratty with a touch of rust from the bike not being ridden much by the PO and has the bare steel look to it.

What should it look like?

What do other's exhausts look like?

Should it be chromed?

Thanks!

David

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks like a rusty balloon with pipes going in and coming out.

The headers are double walled and chromed, the mufflers are chrome. The H box just needs a coat of "pot belly black" high temp paint.

Chrome will not last.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
There now exists a question as to whether the boxes themselves may actually be the same but we know the shields on the sides are different.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
There are two designs.Square and round-ish.Both do the same job.Also you need one specific to the model e.g the Customs boxes do not fit stock CX500s.

http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Honda/CX_500_A/79-80/picture/Collector_Box/

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-CX500-E...86?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5adb44cb7e

Kind of, there was only one style H-box made by Sanke for Honda, anything else (like the second one) is cobbled aftermarket. Of all the reports from people on this list about removing the Hbox and going to straight pipes, there doesn't seem to be any down side to it, power or noise wise, which is kind of surprising.

Shep, you seem to have a good repor with wemoto, could you inquire as to whether the Hbox they sell is the OEM Hbox they have pictured on their site:

or will they deliver the "pattern" latter one if it's ordered for the "z":

Just curious if the OEM's are still available, they've been NLA on this side of the pond for at least a decade.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I don't have any relationship with Wemoto any better than any other buyer.As they are a superb company just drop them a line and enquire yourself.I'm sure they will reply and as you know they happily ship to the US as many people on here have bought spark plug caps from them as they seem so rare over there.

I'm sure they would like the business

http://www.wemoto.com/contact/

I have an after market collector box from David Silvers that is around 5 years old and still doing ok

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
[quote name='Cobram' date='08 September 2010 - 07:03 AM' timestamp='1283951005' post='12190']

Kind of, there was only one style H-box made by Sanke for Honda, anything else (like the second one) is cobbled aftermarket. Of all the reports from people on this list about removing the Hbox and going to straight pipes, there doesn't seem to be any down side to it, power or noise wise, which is kind of surprising.

Stephen,

That too is surprising to me, is the H-box not designed to equalize back pressure?

If not then what is its purpose?

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Collector boxes are used on all sorts of motorcycles including virtually every modern multi-cylinder motorcycle(Even if discrete).They are there to balance the exhausts and allow for the differences in length of the pipes depending on their position coming from the engine and also in some cases to quieten the sound.They are therefore part of the exhaust system tuning.

There is probably no harm in using a straight through system but it may not get the power increase some expect and actually just the opposite and may affect the fuel consumption.

The increased noise from different exhausts may sound like there's more power but in reality there may be less as sound is energy and that energy has to be paid for somwhere down-the-line.

This is not really an issue on a bike with say 75 + BHP but when you only have a brand new starting BHP of 50 BHP as on our bikes I want as much of it as I can have

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Thanks Shep you are a "Grand" Nagus.

My thought was it is for the equalization for both cylinders back pressure, thus making each side, well equal.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Thanks Shep you are a "Grand" Nagus.

My thought was it is for the equalization for both cylinders back pressure, thus making each side, well equal.

I'm sure it does have some of that effect but that is mainly done by the length of the total exhaust system and the baffles in the cans.These are tuned to the Valve timing of the engine which in turn is set by the Cam-shaft profiles and the Valve train components etc.

The back pressure not only helps clear the cylinders of exhaust fumes but also as the revolutions of the engine increase and therefore the load and demands on the carburation system increase the back pressure also causes a negative pressure inside the cylinders that helps draw more fuel through.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
All those factors are true. That's why it's surprising that not one person who eliminated the Hbox reported anything detrimental. Well, at least not in any of the reports I read on the old list.

I keep it as stock as possible so I have no personal BTDT. I'll ask wemoto, but I suspect I know the answer, it's academic curiosity, as my first Hbox lasted 30 years, and the one I got looks like it'll go another 30....I MIGHT be ready for a new bike by the time the new one rusts out.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a question about how the mufflers plug in. Should they slide in easily or have to be "cohered"? When I put my GL500i back together I replaced the gasket things on the ends and when I put them in they just crushed as I banged the mufflers into the H box.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts