Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah this is a never ending thread the seems to get asked a million times. But before you go off. This thread is for the quick reference to hopefully stop more of the questions before the dead horse comes out.

Ok so What? Why? When? and whatever you have that could benefit the new members.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Engine Oil--- Use 10w-40 or 15w-40 non-synthetic oils or your clutch will slip.

Most prefer to use Rotella 15w-40 as their brand of choice. The

newer oils have additives that create problems with a wet clutch.

·
Registered
977 Posts
AMSOIL 10W-40 Advanced Synthetic Motorcycle Oil

Advanced multi-functional formula for both domestic and foreign motorcycles. Recommended for high-performance liquid or air-cooled 4-stroke engines and transmissions and both 4- and 2-stroke motorcycles. Wet-clutch compatible. Not recommended where an API GL-4 or GL-5 gear oil is required.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Diesel oil. weighted for your climate.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
15w40 diesel oil, usually Rotella because that's what I read the most... If they don't have Rotella, then I'll grab the next 15w40 diesel I see, every 3k miles if I can, but no speedometer so no mileage, so no idea really...

·
Registered
798 Posts
I also grab the 15w30 Shell Rotella. I wince at the price of motorcycle specific oil, but $15 of a gallon of Rotella is ok.

I dont believe synthetics are what causes clutch problems, but rather the anti-friction additives.

It may also be prudent to mention routine oil changes are more important than what oil. The engine, trans, and clutch all use the same oil, so it lives a harder life than most oil in automotive circumstances.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
NEVER an oil with friction modifiers or oil labeled "energy conserving" or some such.

To be absolutely 1000% sure beyond any reasonable doubt, just look for JASO MA on the label, it means the Japanese Automotive Standards Organization has approved the oil for use in a single sump motorcycle engine (wet clutch)

If you'd like to discuss this until the cows come home or the horse rises up from it's grave, there's an entire forum dedicated to nothing but oil and lube, Bobs wonderful world of oil.

Rotella T synthetic for me and everything I own, not only because it's the best, but because I bought a shipload of the stuff when Wally World was selling it cheap (cheaper than their usual cheap.)

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
As for WHEN, I change mine a bit more often than is recommended in the FSM, usually around 3,000 or 3 months, whichever comes first. Since it only uses about 3 bottles to fill it and since the filter is relatively cheap I don't mind doing it more often, plus it can't hurt anything at all doing it sooner than recommended.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I use "Mobil 1, 20w-50w Motorcycle Synthic" in all my bikes. It's pretty expensive, about $9.00 a quart, but the temp in Phoenix dictates an excellent synthic and a little heaver weight to beat the heat. I change oil in my "dirt bikes" (2500 to 3000 miles) a little more often then in my "road bikes" (4500 to 5000miles).

I've used "Rotella", "Amsoil" and "Red Line" in the past. They are excellent synthetics but the availability is some what limited. "Mobil 1 Motorcycle Synthic" seems to be available almost any place and keeps the temp down and manageable. Asis the case with most of us, I've never experienced an "Oil Related Failure". (Knock on wood!!)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I had thought I noticed that my bike ran just a tad cooler using the genuine Honda 15w-40, and like many others, tried using the Rotella-T oil, which was when I thought it was running a tad warmer. But, now after switching back to the genuine Honda oil this last oil change, (17 buks around here verses 25 for the OEM), I cannot state with any degree of certitude (ROFL), that I notice the tad anymore. Maybe my impeller is starting to go south on me? I dunno.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, think I need to move to the States, I finally found a 5L jug of Rotella at Wallmart (last one they had) and it cost me $40.00. Dont mind the price that much, just that its so hard to find. All we seem to have a lot of (not counting the 300,000 motor oils) is "motorcycle" oil at dealers, usually about $60.00 for 4L (about a gallon).

Then again, I LOVE the Wallamrts in the states.... HATE them in Canada (seems they dont understand the concept of "service" in this country). Nothing more appealing than seeing 28 cash registers (plus a 8 register express) and only 2 ever open. I think if I went in and saw 3 open I would need to do a tripple bypass on myself.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I found (and bought) a 5L bottle of Rotella T at crappy tire a couple of months ago (foreseeing a future where I would need to change my oil). There's no way it was even CLOSE to $40.

Well, think I need to move to the States, I finally found a 5L jug of Rotella at Wallmart (last one they had) and it cost me $40.00. Dont mind the price that much, just that its so hard to find. All we seem to have a lot of (not counting the 300,000 motor oils) is "motorcycle" oil at dealers, usually about $60.00 for 4L (about a gallon).

Then again, I LOVE the Wallamrts in the states.... HATE them in Canada (seems they dont understand the concept of "service" in this country). Nothing more appealing than seeing 28 cash registers (plus a 8 register express) and only 2 ever open. I think if I went in and saw 3 open I would need to do a tripple bypass on myself.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Rotella T Synthetic is next to impossible to find at Walmart in the spring. Six local Walmarts and the shelves are all wiped clean come April. I usually buy several gallons in early March.

Pretty obvious the stuff has really caught on in the motorcycle community. Now if only Walmart would figure it out and up their stock in the spring.

Just think of all those poor motorcyclists running around with slipping clutches due to using a synthetic.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well it must not have been my day :-( I tried crappy tire and they didnt have it at all, so decided to try Wally world and grabbed the last jug (didnt even have a shelf price tag for it, found out how much after they rung it up). Not sure if its a season thing (dont thing so, I got it about 2-3 month ago) or bad timing on my part. First time I ever used anything other than the stuff Honda Paower house sells.

Not sure what area you are from Plastic Maggot, but down here in Scarberia I cant seem to ever get a break (prefer to hit Brampton or Whitby for my shopping runs)

·
Registered
396 Posts
If you're in "Scarberia", then I have to say that I'm in "Rich Man's Hill".

I've got two decent Canadian Tires near my house, and I actually bought this bottle at one close to the Ikea near the DVP (Leslie and Sheppard) when I went to visit the father-in-law. I'll have to check out the Wally World here to see what they're stocking.

Well it must not have been my day :-( I tried crappy tire and they didnt have it at all, so decided to try Wally world and grabbed the last jug (didnt even have a shelf price tag for it, found out how much after they rung it up). Not sure if its a season thing (dont thing so, I got it about 2-3 month ago) or bad timing on my part. First time I ever used anything other than the stuff Honda Paower house sells.

Not sure what area you are from Plastic Maggot, but down here in Scarberia I cant seem to ever get a break (prefer to hit Brampton or Whitby for my shopping runs)

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
:) great I will have to check the CT there, as in the past when I needed something other than sandpaper I would go to the CT in pickering, they have a better stock and stuff is actually laid out in a sensible order (the one near me has motor oil in the seasonal section, other end of the store from automotive lol go figure)

Fortunately, which techincally in the GTA (get to pay that wonderfull $80.00 extra GTA road tax at sticker time), Im about 37 meters from pickering lol. The houses here have actually changed 7 times between pickering and Scarb in the last 30 years. Your area is the one I head past when I ride, I try to stay north of Stoffeville and away from the insane drivers lol

·
Registered
130 Posts
Does anyone know of chains that are carrying the Rotella T Full Synthetic in the Gallon size?

I can't seem to find it here in the Minneapolis area!

Brit

·
Registered
195 Posts
Does anyone know of chains that are carrying the Rotella T Full Synthetic in the Gallon size?

I can't seem to find it here in the Minneapolis area!

Brit

Advance Auto Parts around here.

·
Registered
889 Posts
FWIW - Rotella T is not synthetic - but is JASO MA compliant.

Rotella T5 is not JASO MA compliant.

Rotella T6 is synthetic and is JASO MA compliant.

As stated above, stick w/ JASO MA compliant. Avoid Energy-Conserving.

I have a number of other opinions, but the above is a very good base for starting your bike motor oil search.

·
Registered
130 Posts
FWIW - Rotella T is not synthetic - but is JASO MA compliant.

If Rotella T is not synthetic, why do you suppose it says Synthetic right on the bottle?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts