Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What oil do you guys use in your bikes and where do you get it? I am doing an oil change and need to make sure I use the right oil.

·
Registered
762 Posts
wow, first oil thread on the new forum...that didn't take long.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Blindstitch,

It will be nice if we can get your sticky from the old forum with all of the answers to the most common questions.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Wouldn't that be nice. Actually it's floating around in the general section and I also have it at the bottom in my signature. Well not all but what I saved over to Sheps forum for good luck.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
What oil do you guys use in your bikes and where do you get it? I am doing an oil change and need to make sure I use the right oil.

There's little doubt that most of us are in agreement that you can't go wrong with Shell Rotella 15W-40, some even use their 5W-40 synthetic. Mobil Delvac is also a super heavy duty diesel oil that would be the equivalent.

There are several reasons for suggesting this oil in addition to it being approved by JASO as acceptable for use in wet clutch bikes. It's a heavy duty diesel oil with an outstanding history of protection and longevity (over half the semi trucks on the road use it) and part of the reason is that it still contains a decent level of zinc - an anti-shear additive that is essential in our bikes since the clutch and transmission gears share the same oil as the engine. Gears meshing/mashing against each other is very hard on oil; it breaks down the additive package and viscosity in short order thus the reason most of us use inexpensive oil and change it often.

Modern automotive oils (especially anything that states "Energy Conserving" on the label) have replaced the time proven additives with all sorts of other things, many of which can result in clutch slippage. They've done this for two reasons - the new additives are less harmful to catalytic converters and the "more slippery" factor results in a tiny increase in mpg.

Oddly enough this is one case in which the less expensive product is the better one for our uses.

·
Super Moderator
15,409 Posts
Extra Virgin Olive Oil From Italy...........Just kidding.

Rotella 15-40

About $10 a gallon at my local Walmart.

Does the extra virgin help or just stand and watch?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Yes, it does. There's nothing special about the Honda oil, it's just approved for wet clutch bikes thus doesn't have the aforementioned differences.

Shoot, when I was at Atwood's (a farm/country supply store) during the weekend they even had Rotella in 2.5 gallon jugs.

Same thing with antifreeze. You want silicate free, really matters not if it says Honda, Toyota or Dexcool on it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Shoot, when I was at Atwood's (a farm/country supply store) during the weekend they even had Rotella in 2.5 gallon jugs.

I hate Wal-Mart with a passion, but I'm forced to go there because they have the best selection of oil by far, especially in the 'jugs' rather than the individual quarts, which are much more expensive. I was suprised to see they had the 2.5 gal jugs of Shell Rotella when I went there last weekend --- i've never seen them before. They were on sale for $24 if I recall so I picked one up. So...if anyone is looking for one...check evil wally world!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
2-1/2 gallons, all I'd need is a funnel and I could refill 10 quart empties. I use the same thing in my car, about half Rotella 15W-40 and half Rotella 5W-40 synthetic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I usually buy three of the 2-1/2 gallon jugs at a time for the easy fact it is exactly how much it takes to do all of my vehicles and have a little left over for the lawn mower. One trip to wally's mart twice a year is quite enough for me.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Same thing with antifreeze. You want silicate free, really matters not if it says Honda, Toyota or Dexcool on it.

No, NEVER Dexcool.

Sometimes the coolant tends to turn to a thick, gooey, sticky, muddy, gritty, orange corrosive gel that fouls the radiator, plugs coolant passages in the heads, and many times starves the water pump, resulting in overheating, and leaking. Mounting evidence suggests that Dex-cool reacts with plastic sealing surfaces, allowing leakage at some gaskets (the cause it seems of the all too common GM manifold leaks.)

As they say, Google it if you haven't lived it.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts