Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always thought using tip top octane (91) was treating my bike as best I could but lately I've heard a few remarks to the contrary. What's everyone pumping out there and why?

All opinions, as always, appreciated....gweric

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
It probably doesn't matter. I use the lowest at the pump, whatever that is but

I avoid if at all possible any gas containing ethanol.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Our make of bike have no need for the high octane, and in fact the Ethanol has been proven to be a detriment. These machines were designed for a fuel that is barely available, if at all. That is why some guys drool over the higher zinc content in the oils they use, such as the Rotella Diesel formulas. These engines don't like having those attributes taken away, and will decay faster because of that lack.

Stick with the lower 87 octane, and if you can find non ethanol fuel in your area, GET IT. Many threads here about that topic. Small airports can be a useful source, so some say.

You will not gain a benefit from your Twisted Twin motor by the use of high octane fuel.

To my dismay, I don't have any near enough to me to make it worth my while, so I stick with the low grade. I've tried the high octane and saw a decrease in MPG that was very noticeable.

My opinion.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, you guys....now that I'm assured I'm not doing a disservice to the bike, I'm gonna try a few tanks (for the first time since in the nine years I've had the bike) of lower octane (87) and see if I notice a performance and/or mileage change.

All this time I been goin' with the top dollar stuff....sheeesh...I'll get back to you in a few weeks on my findings....thanks, gweric

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I agree with Joel,

I tried "higher octane" for awhile, which i i think did improve the performance of the bike, BUT the mpg of the bike wasn't worth the additional cost !!!!

They run just fine on cheapo gas

All The Best.........Keith......

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
I think the math was that the bikes will run with 85 octane. Don't confuse this with E85 because that's probably a sure fire way to kill it. So 87 it is. I have only seen 85 and 86 at places like Sunoco.

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
http://choppercharles.com/cs/forums/38904/ShowPost.aspx

LonEagle's post.

Actually, it says 91 RON, which is called the "research octane number".

The number we see at the pump in the States is (MON + RON) / 2, or, the average of the motor octane # and the research octane #.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

That article has this choice line buried in it: '87 octane fuel, the "regular" gasoline in the US and Canada, would be 91-92 in Europe'.

So, the engine is designed to burn regular gas. Only time I ever buy a higher grade is before I put it up for the winter, since that's the only way to get gas without ethanol in Minnesota. (I've heard conflicting stories on the separability of ethanol, and I'm erring on the safe side.)

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You will not gain a benefit from your Twisted Twin motor by the use of high octane fuel.

It's a short stroke engine designed for lower octane gasoline. Contrary to popular belief the higher octane fuels take longer to fully burn thus you waste some as well as leaving more carbon on your internals. Most Premium gas is merely regular gas with ethanol added.

All gasoline is not the same though, experiment. Find a good station and stick with them.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So what if you can't find non-oxygenated fuel? When I lived in MN, there were still stations around that carried it, but now in AZ everything sold has ethanol in it. Additives needed? Just run it?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I find 87 with Ethanol Ok to run. I just do not want it in the tank for more than a couple days between fill ups. It's darned near impossible to schedule 90 mile fueling intervals at E free stations. pure-gas.org

"Most Premium gas is merely regular gas with ethanol added." Marshallf3. I gotta call ya on this one Marsh. I think you may have had light beer and fuel mixed up when you posted that.
I hope you are doing well.

I'm not going to get into it specifically as 87 pump gas from one mfg to another, or even from the same company in different locations is blended differently.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So what if you can't find non-oxygenated fuel? When I lived in MN, there were still stations around that carried it, but now in AZ everything sold has ethanol in it. Additives needed? Just run it?

Just put in what you want and run it. My area has had ethanol before the first CXs hit the showroom floor over 3 decades ago.

I want just one person to tell me about a maintained (even half assed) CX engine which failed before 100,000 miles.

Something along the lines of failed rings, pistons, cylinders, crank, main bearings, cam, valves ect. and show why a certain brand of oil or gas caused the damage.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Eats the carbs up over time.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Ethanol and methyl will eventually soften rubber components....over time.

The best fuel for these bikes and most of all our vehicles and recreational toys is, fresh and clean regular gasoline

of at least a 87 octane rating, anything more is simply a waste of money for what you get. I try to buy my fuels from

the newest stations in town with new holding tanks and no ethanol additives.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hopefully the government will pull the ethonol subsidy so we'll see more non oxy fuel in the future. Other wise livestock feed and corn for human consumption will just keep risisng faster than it normally would. Biomass ethonol isn't yet feasable.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Okay so let be sure I've got this straight. Most of the time my only choice of ethanol free gas is premium (91-93 octane.) As such, my best choice is 91 octane-ethanol free, not the 87 octane-10% ethanol gas, correct?

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Here is a web site dedicated to finding non-alcohol gas stations:

http://pure-gas.org/about

And I hadn't noticed before but CX-Viking is right, they mostly just sell 91 octane alcohol free.

This is a new twist on the old octane question. You are wasting your money to buy high octane but if you don't want alcohol you need to waste your money. Hmm, a conundrum....

I have been burning the cheap 10% alcohol for years, probably will continue to.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
............with the term "cheap" being purely rhetorical. *sigh*

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
revised - see below

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Hopefully the government will pull the ethonol subsidy so we'll see more non oxy fuel in the future. Other wise livestock feed and corn for human consumption will just keep risisng faster than it normally would. Biomass ethanol isn't yet feasable.

The whole idea was to move over to E-85 to run in the Flex-Fuel engines which are capable of adjusting their ECM/PCMs to do so and at an attractive price as an incentive. Not enough underground tanks for them to do this. Subsides should be made to the gas station to allow this - not the moonshineers. In that manner we'd have our regular gas back, an incentive for E-85 capable vehicles to use it and overall less emissions.

My car is fully OBD-II controlled but overall I lose 11% gasoline running on it - in other words it takes me 11% more fuel to go the same distance so I'm not merely burning the same amount of gas but an extra 1%. Simple math tells you this is insanity. Same amount of gasoline + 1% more fuel which all combusts to into the same thing out of the tailpipe.

All this nonsense has cost the people about a 10-20% increase in food prices across the nation as well as increased taxes.

Reactions: Jay650
1 - 20 of 32 Posts