Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just seeing what everyone else here rides on? On my GL500 I have Kenda K671s Have almost 9k miles on them, and they have a ton of life left in them. They've handled great for me, in rain as well. But I'm looking for tires for my GL650 right now, and I'm probably going to order the same set. But first I wondered what everyone else recommends? I like the Pirelli Demon Sport, but not sure on the life of the tire.

It's hard to beat them for the price. I can order them online, install them myself then pay the local guy $20 to balance them. Costs about $170 total.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
If you keep the tire pressures at 29 front, 36 rear, the demons hold up really well, but they are a sport bias ply, so they do not last as long as harder compounds.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have Metzler Lasertec as back tire and Avon Venom front.
Nothing bad to say about them. Even though I had to put tube to that Metzler last spring (Stopped to hold air for some reason). Some have critiziced CX on gravel road but those tires have served me rather well on gravel too.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,285 Posts
I had a set of Kenda K673 Kruz tires on my GoldWing before I added the sidecar and I loved them. The front has a slightly "triangular" profile that reduces the contact patch when the bike is upright so that it leans into turns as easily as a bicycle tire (narrower tires always handle better on 2 wheels) but the contact area increases as you lean so it always feels solidly planted. (I checked and they are available in 130/90-16 and 100/90-19 to fit your SilverWing)

Unfortunately, the very thing that made the front so wonderful on 2 wheels made it feel squirmy/twitchy on 3 wheels so the 'Wing now has a Duro HF308 on the front & sidecar and a Shinko E240 ("classic" square profile - like an old Goodyear Speed Grip made with modern rubber) on the rear.

What I run on the 650 won't help you either. It is used mainly in the winter so it has a Duro HF307 (block tread) on the front, a Kenda K270 on the rear (the best snow tire I found in decades or experimenting) and a Duro HF391 on the sidecar (nothing special - all it has to do is keep the sidecar from rubbing on the ground).

But if you like the K671s on your 500 and want to carry a bit more load on the 650 you will probably be very happy with K673s.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning alot towards the Avon Roadriders or the Pirelli Demon Sports Maybe I should have mentioned both of my bikes are nakes, no fairings, bags, or windshields. And I prefer curvy roads and enjoy getting a good lean. So I'm thinking these 2 tires will provide a little extra stickyness. They both seem very similar in build to modern sport bike tires. I've seen people drag knees on a CX500 before, so I'm quite sure these bikes can do that. The Kendas on my 500 have never failed me, I was surprised how much they grip for being 6 ply cruiser tires.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Can't beat the Pirelli Sport Demons for the price.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I've dragged knee on turbos on Roadriders, Sport Demons, and Lasertecs, any one of them is a good choice, however, I ate the Roadriders in 2000 miles.
If you ride in the rain at all, the Lasertecs are probably your best all allarounder.

·
Registered
400 Posts
save the $20 balance costs and use balance beads. It will cost some but far less than $20 and they can be reused.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I'll throw out another brand, I haven't heard anything bad written about shinko tires and I have a set of 777's right now that are working very well. I was disappointed with my Avon's, they only lasted a single season and over a single winter the sidewalls rotted and cracked so badly I had to replace them. I've never seen a set of tires get ruined so quickly and unfortunately won't ever even consider Avon's again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought some Shinko 712's and they only cost $120 for the set. Only have put a little over a thousand miles on them but they seem fine to me.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,285 Posts
I ran Shinko Tourmasters on the 'Wing for several years (before the sidecar) and really liked them until I got one that went bad fast. It felt OK when I first mounted it but within a couple of hundred Km it started rubbing on the swingarm (the previous one was the same make/brand/size and had lots of clearance, even when worn out) so I shaved the corner of the tread a bit to stop the rub. That was a dumb move that I would not do again because it should have voided the warranty but it started rubbing again within a few Km so you couldn't tell I had done anything. Then it sort of twisted on the rim as if it had thrown a belt and started rubbing heavily at one place. The dealer replaced it under warranty but the replacement started rubbing within 20 Km. This time I took it to them still mounted and they went over it and agreed that it was not anything I had done.

I replaced it with a Kenda and never went back to Shinko until I was shopping for a rear for the 'Wing last spring and my parts guy showed me the E240. It is a great sidecar tire and I am very happy with it so far, but I don't think its square profile would be very good on 2 wheels (although lots of people run them on old Harleys and on retro-bobbers).

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
save the $20 balance costs and use balance beads. It will cost some but far less than $20 and they can be reused.

Jerry
Last time around, someone had spilled my bottle of plastic bee-bees, so I just grabbed a jug of Slime, the stuff that's supposed to stop air leaks. I put four ounces in the front, and six in the back. The stuff has done just fine!

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
I'm on a set of Michelin Commander II. Balance was done but no weights added. I have been on them for about 2 years in all kinds of roads and conditions. Never a problem with following RR tracks, tar snakes, grooves, wet road are firm......able to drag pegs at city speeds......cost a little more, but were $215 for the set out the door mounted, balanced, tax and disposal fee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts