Honda CX 500 Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Reportedly, these were popular with couriers in London in their day, and many were run close to 200k with minimal maintenance."

I was one of those couriers, my 78 Cx did 180,000 mile or so before it was stolen, it had the cam chain mod/recall by the dealer, and was properly maintained with oil changes at half the intervals, (before synthetic) at some time later, around 120,000 or so, I chipped a gear, whilst I had it stripped, I replaced the gear, and as a precaution big end shells, cam chain and tensioner, and cam followers I think. I was bidding on one the other day with 67 on the clock, If it sounds sweet and has been regularly maintained, I think it is probably OK. I'll add that in the time I rode it, it was almost totally reliable, and had no plans on replacing it. It only refused to start once with an ignition problem, cured by pulling a wire off the block under the seat, which strangely healed itself within a couple of months. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1982 GL500 81 BMW R100 2010 HD E-GLIDE
635 Posts
It appears to me that the CX family has an under-stressed design that makes traditional concepts of what might be considered "high mileage" obsolete.

For example - I'm investigating a one-owner, apparently regularly maintained 1981 CX500 with 69,000 miles. Owner says it's been a daily commuter and has a rebuilt front caliper and a new master cylinder reservoir. Good to go for many more miles or something to be wary of?

Thanks,
Bob in St. Paul
A daily driver regularly maintained is a good thing. What are your plans for it?
Use mileage to debate price. It is 40 years old of course something can go wrong but if it is all working it should be fine.
Paul

·
Registered
Not an owner yet, but looking...
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 · (Edited)
Thanks to everyone for your opinions and experiences - this is a great forum!

Here's an update:

I've been in correspondence with the owner and have learned a few additional things. The only modifications to the bike were the addition of a Vetter Windjammer fairing and a rear rack/backrest. The owner still has the original headlight bucket and front turn signals, so it would be a straightforward matter to return the bike to stock condition. The tires are less than five years old. The bike still has the original stickers dictating tire pressures and front fork air pressure. I prefer the look of the Deluxe model, but I must admit that this 1981 Custom has me smitten.

I asked about the "triple bypass" items and he said that the stator and water pump seal have both been serviced/replaced.

Also included with the bike are a stator, coil, and a Clymer manual.

The bike is located in a small town about an hour and a half north of where I live; I've made arrangements to go see it on Monday after work - a friend will give me a ride up there and follow me home if I should decide to buy it.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
Not an owner yet, but looking...
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Alrightee, drove up and saw the bike this afternoon; did not purchase or even make an offer.

The bike was mostly as advertised, except... turns out there had been a bit of a communication gap between the seller and I regarding the stator. I had interpreted the seller's response to my query about previous "triple bypass" repairs to mean that the stator had already been replaced. In reality, he had purchased a replacement stator and was including it in the sale.

As I have no appetite for undertaking such a repair, I took a pass. No hard feelings, just... didn't work out.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does it actually need a new stator? Did he diagnose that it needed one?

at 87k miles myself, original stator.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
at 87k miles myself, original stator

That's pretty amazing!

Reactions: Blurredman

·
Registered
'82 GL500 '83 GL650 '21 RoyalEnfield INT650
2,276 Posts
Here in Minnesota, there are so many low mileage bikes available because of our short riding time. At my closest garage, Roy's Repair, the mechanic said folks on both coasts look at the upper midwest for old bikes with low mileage. He said they sell their refurbished bikes online and ship them to California, where they have the weather to wear bikes out.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
On the other hand, if you own any antique vehicle you will either need to have very deep pockets AND a shop you can trust to know enough about your specific model (or to be willing to put the time & effort into learning about a specific model when they aren't likely to see another of them this year) or you will need to learn to repair it yourself.
Personally, I vote for learning how because that way you know it was done right.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Yes, he said that the bike bogs down at 4500-5000 RPM.

Well, yes okay- but without testing the resistences it can still be other things.. swapping the idle and main jet orifices can do this sort of thing.. Ask me how I know.. :ROFLMAO:
But yes, if it idled and ran well @ low rpm then stator is quite likely.

Anyway, plenty more fish and all that!

·
Registered
5 Posts
With religious oil changes, I put 100,000 miles on a '78 in just over 6 years. The only weakness was in the electrics. I had to change the ignition trigger twice, which is a pain. The bike is set up so that ordinary maintenance is very easy, but anything beyond that requires dropping the engine out of the frame (well, backbone). The basic engine is as durable as any machine I've ever seen.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts