Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the nest upgrade or mod you want to do perform on your bike? I am going to finish the exhaust on my bike my way. you can see what the plans are in the custom area. What do YOU WANT TO DO NEXT

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
After the last drop of paint and polish it's probably going to be a windshield followed by a fork brace.

·
Super Moderator
15,413 Posts
Looks like it's going to be the cx650 clutch later on in the month.

I owe it to Larry since it looks like I may have lost the bet.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Paint is being finished in the next few weeks. Then tires and soft saddlebags. Those were my goals for this summer, and I will meet all of them- then next season I can just uncover, check, change and ride.....

However, next on the list is something I'd like some advice on- I'd like to change out the pipes. These are fine, they look ok etc.. but it's so quiet. Troy says he can't hear me pull in the driveway on the bike. I don't want something too loud and obnoxious, but I'd at least like to be able to make enough noise so I'm not invisiable in traffic. Any favorites??

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For louder pipes, if you want the loudest you can go. Strait pipes off the H pipe is the loudest and can be done to look good to

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,439 Posts
A voltage meter. Now that I'm using an Ignitech, knowing that the battery is charging has become much more important.

R

·
Registered
198 Posts
Want (need) to get everything working. Front brake is at top of priority list right now. Waiting for Larry's book to give the carbs an other going over; I tried it on my own, and while the bike does run, it could run a LOT better. Speedometer would be nice. Stopping the very slow leak in my front tire (new) has to be on the list. Sealing the seat cover so I don't have to sit on a wet sponge for three days after the bike gets caught in the rain, has to be on the list.

If I ever get all that done I'll maybe start thing about modifications. Don't really know might like it the way it is.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I want to install Race Tech Cartridge Emulators and a Hagon Monoshock on my 500T and 650E.

However, that will have to wait until the 650T gets a full mechanical once over by Greg Goss next spring.

Since that particular service don't come cheap, I'm afeared that those upgrades may have to wait a trifle.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
However, next on the list is something I'd like some advice on- I'd like to change out the pipes. These are fine, they look ok etc.. but it's so quiet. Troy says he can't hear me pull in the driveway on the bike. I don't want something too loud and obnoxious, but I'd at least like to be able to make enough noise so I'm not invisiable in traffic. Any favorites??

Harley Davidson Sportster pipes, but be prepared to re-jet the carbs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
My fuel valve leaks around the selector, so .... A new / replacement fuel valve for my GL650 so I can ride her. O.K., so that's a repair, not an upgrade, but I don't want anything else. I want that baby to be as close to stock as possible.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
For louder pipes, if you want the loudest you can go. Strait pipes off the H pipe is the loudest and can be done to look good to

You'll need to rejet with straight pipes even if you leave the H-box on.

Now that I'm back to exactly stock as it came from the factory it'll be interesting to see if the PO even touched the jetting, from the looks of the plugs and as messed up as the carb screw adjustments were I doubt he did so I should be fine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
A new front brake master cylinder. After I put new bars on my bike, the stock master cylinder really sits at a heavy angle.

I'm worried that I'll suck an air bubble into the line at some point. And some new mirrors that don't move when I ride above

60 mph. Any inexpensive suggestions?

·
Registered
174 Posts
A new front brake master cylinder. After I put new bars on my bike, the stock master cylinder really sits at a heavy angle.

I'm worried that I'll suck an air bubble into the line at some point. And some new mirrors that don't move when I ride above

60 mph. Any inexpensive suggestions?

If you need a new master cylinder, get one from this this guy on LAMe-bay

Lots of ppl on here have used these, they work great. I used an angled one [just browse thru his selection] for my stock handlebars on my '80 CX500c and it works perfect. The normal flat ones are great too if you just have normal straight handlebars. Just ignore the specific bike they are listed for --- just make sure it'll fit the diameter and angle of your bars, as well as the correct displacement.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm putting mermite panniers on tonight. Also powdercoated my header pipes and valve covers. First time powdercoating. It was pretty fun. However I laid the pipes on the wrong side and marked up the visible side by rubbing the powder off. I know I should have hung them with a wire.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I want to get the dual front brakes sorted out and I think I am also going to do the SV650 rear shock swap as well.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,439 Posts
I'm putting mermite panniers on tonight.
That's exactly the look I want on the AdvWing (if it ever it gets to that point.) Do you know if these are made in ABS?

R

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm putting mermite panniers on tonight. Also powdercoated my header pipes and valve covers. First time powdercoating. It was pretty fun. However I laid the pipes on the wrong side and marked up the visible side by rubbing the powder off. I know I should have hung them with a wire.

saltwatersurf

Did you use a hi-temperature power on the header pipes and if so where did you purchase the powder. I know there is some that looks like chrome but not sure if it is hi-temp. Thanks Billrod

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I'll just list some things I have done.

1:Thermostatically controlled electric fan conversion,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=209

2:LED Stop Tail bulbs,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2pcs...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

3:Indicator Buzzer,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=96&p=549&hilit=buzzer#p549

4:Vista Cruise control.

http://www.aerostich.com/vista-cruise-control.html

5:Engine protector bars(Important on these bikes).

6:20w(Heavy) fork oil.

7:15w40 diesel car engine oil.

8:Xenon H4 headlight bulb,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xeno...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

HTH

1 - 20 of 32 Posts