Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys and gals i made a couple of videos on how to check and adjust the valves and cam chain on you tube here are the links

go ahead and tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBdvqTM2FDE thats part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5LiLS3NGHg thats part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG1p78DfuvA thats part 3

and yes i already know i didnt do every thing by the book and when i did these videos i didnt have coffee yet and plus its kinda early so i couldnt think right and at the end of part 3 you will hear some strange sounds but when your next to the bike with out the cam there is no noise so i dont know

and also if i did any thing wrong let me know or if i said any thing wrong let me know also thanks

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
One comment, Lucky. Be very careful turning that bolt behind the front inspection plug counterclockwise. It can unscrew from the crank and you then have other issues.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok i didnt know that it could go clockwise i thought the starter would hold it up thats why i was going the way i was but thank you blue

·
Registered
366 Posts
Lucky:

You said your bike was cold, I notice you crack the throttle several times be for you hit the starter and it started right up. Did you use the chock at all?

Ev.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lucky:

You said your bike was cold, I notice you crack the throttle several times be for you hit the starter and it started right up. Did you use the chock at all?

Ev.

yea about a quater of the way out thats all and once its running i push it back in

·
Registered
745 Posts
yea about a quater of the way out thats all and once its running i push it back in

Lucky would have to change the rubber seals on those coves, i ask because i will change my valve covers to a set that were polished and then check my valve clearance,,i have a set of seals just sitting there. I've rode about 15k and have not check my valves,,, any way i liked this video ,,,

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
We also learned that if you back off the cam tensioner bolt as far as it can do it will bind and stop due to the neck. But to be safe I only go two turns at most.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lucky would have to change the rubber seals on those coves, i ask because i will change my valve covers to a set that were polished and then check my valve clearance,,i have a set of seals just sitting there. I've rode about 15k and have not check my valves,,, any way i liked this video ,,,

you should be fine i have taken my valve covers off a few times i also know that if you use a rubber mallet to break the covers free it works great unlike in my case were i dont have a mallet i used a piece of wood and a hammer worked great and no damage to the rubber gasket

so i think you will be fine with what you have raul

and thanks about the video i didnt see any one else with one so thats why i did it

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i am going to move this thread over to the tech seeing how there is more traffic over there and this is kinda a tech subject

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you doralh i am not quite to sure if i am going to do any more i am pretty sure people know how to change the oil and theres thousands of videos on how to change tires so i am not sure what to do my whole idea was to do something know one has done yet thats why i did it on the valves and cam chain for our bikes if any one can think of something that would be good to see a video on let me know ( I AM NOT GOING TO DROP MY ENGINE) it could be changing the oil to taking off the seat or replacing the headlight bulb i am trying to get as much info for people that think they can not work on these bikes because they dont think they can so i want to prove them wrong

i should of done a video on the fork seals no i am not going to tear them apart so you can watch.........

any ideas or just wait until i have to do something??

·
Registered
11 Posts
also note That turning crank wrong way is not good for oiled surfaces. Turning it the right way will allow starter clutch to keep starter off load so be easier to turn.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will offer this advice on the subject of fork seal replacement, having done my gl lately. DO NOT do this at the kitchen table. No matter how long it drains there WILL be more fluid come out. Same with M/C rebuilds.

Your videos were A+++. Thanx a lot.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will offer this advice on the subject of fork seal replacement, having done my gl lately. DO NOT do this at the kitchen table. No matter how long it drains there WILL be more fluid come out. Same with M/C rebuilds.

Your videos were A+++. Thanx a lot.

thanks a lot mortiki and i think you are right about doing stuff inside the house my wife wouldnt let me rebuild a set of carbs on the table.......but is let me bring in my freshly primed side covers and tank on put them on the counter who knows.....women are weird at times

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.