Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
CX500 1978 UK model.
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1978, 26k miles. Or so it says....Frames rougher than Katie prices crotch. Had lots spent on it. Runs nice, rides well but I feel like this is going to bite me on the arse very soon. Funny feeling I'm going to be on here looking for advice for this and that very soon.
Look forward to chatting with you all soon.
What have I done??
Dodge.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
As the tachometer is not exactly the same as on a 1978 model (it's for the 1981 model), it's likely the clocks have been changed at some time, so mileage is likely to be rather more.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Mileage mighten be a big factor if the machine was well looked after....
When i got mine it was showing bout 60000km...but could easily have been 160,000 (round the clock)...no major engine work needed in over 10 years other than routine maintenance...dont sweat it...😉

Edit: ill add that i class cam chain replacement, when needed, as part of routine maintenance for any bike...

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,688 Posts
See my comment about going through all the service procedures in your Greetings thread.

One of the things not covered in the Factory Shop Manual is determining how worn the camchain is but there are instructions somewhere on the forum for determining the camchain's state of wear by using a dental mirror or an endoscope/borescope camera to observe the where the adjuster is on the lock bolt.

As for the mileage, even if it had the original speedometer the odometer reading could be way off. As Bahn said it could easily be 100,000 more but I've also known people to ride with a broken cable for years (these days many use their phone's GPS when that happens)(personally, without a fuel gauge I prefer to have a trip odometer attached to the bike so I can tell when the tank is getting low before I have to switch to reserve).

·
Super Moderator
18,688 Posts
Don't start tearing it apart until you figure out what's causing the problem, otherwise you will never know for sure whether you actually fixed it or it is just waiting to come back and bite you.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Don't start tearing it apart until you figure out what's causing the problem, otherwise you will never know for sure whether you actually fixed it or it is just waiting to come back and bite you.
Yup...the turtle...slow n steady approach will get u there...

NB: referencing the parable not implying S/Bob is the turtle!.. .

·
Super Moderator
18,688 Posts
I kind of like the colour. I probably wouldn't pick if I was painting one but if one came to me in that colour and the paint was in good shape I wouldn't be in a hurry to change it.
It reminds me of the gold Honda painted some bikes in many years ago.

·
Super Moderator
23,831 Posts
On 500s with cam driven fans the camchain can be checked by rotating the fan back and forth.

There should be no play between cam and crank.

A bad chain can allow up to 40 degrees of fan rotation without the crank moving.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,251 Posts
I like the color, too.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts